Regression with astigmatism

Post your questions and start your research in this forum if more than three months ago you had any type of surgery to reduce the need for glasses and contacts.

Regression with astigmatism

Postby rosie61 » Tue Mar 13, 2007 10:27 pm

Glad to find this board.....have read through a lot of the messages and very helpful to know you are not the only person in the world that Lasik did not give you a 20/20 result.

I had Lasik in 2000, original surgery in June and then an enhancement in October of 2000. I did end up with 20/15 and was so happy....but, gradually my eyes regressed. Within a year I needed contacts again and I could live with that until the last year, my right eye has developed astigmatism which I never had pre-Lasik. Since last June I have noticed it is very blurry at times. It has gradually worsened until in January at my yearly checkup my eye doctor can't fit me with a lense that will clear things up. My (good) left eye is a -1.00 and the right is -2.25. The problem is the astigmatism never measures the same.....my reading have been different every week since trying to find a prescription. I tried a toric lense only to only be able to see 20/60. My eye doc is baffled at what to do and is sending me to a laser doc to get a better pix of my eye.
He says it is a big increase for one year.

Has anyone else had this problem and can it be fixed. I'm starting to get worried I may be stuck with this blurriness for good.

Before Lasik I was a -4.75 and -5.25. The readings I have now have been that way for a year. It just the astigmatism. Could a person have another enhancement for the astigmatism or is 3 times pushing your luck. My appointment is next week and I would appreciate any insight or help on what to ask about.
rosie61

Re: Regression with astigmatism

Postby LasikExpert » Tue Mar 13, 2007 11:24 pm

rosie61 wrote:... my right eye has developed astigmatism which I never had pre-Lasik. Since last June I have noticed it is very blurry at times.

Astigmatism is when the cornea is not spherical like the top of a ball, but is elliptical like the back of a spoon. The "tip" of the spoon bends light differently and can cause blurr or ghost images, especially in low light environments when the pupil becomes large.

rosie61 wrote:... It has gradually worsened until in January at my yearly checkup my eye doctor can't fit me with a lense that will clear things up. My (good) left eye is a -1.00 and the right is -2.25. The problem is the astigmatism never measures the same.....my reading have been different every week since trying to find a prescription.

These symptoms indicate that there may be corneal disease that is causing or contributing to the problem.

rosie61 wrote:... My eye doc is baffled at what to do and is sending me to a laser doc to get a better pix of my eye.

This will probably include an Orbscan, which is an elevation map of the front and the back of the cornea. This is a very good diagnostic tool

rosie61 wrote:Before Lasik I was a -4.75 and -5.25.

Your preoperative refractive error was moderate.

rosie61 wrote:The readings I have now have been that way for a year. It just the astigmatism.

This strongly indicates that the progressive astigmatism relates to a change in the health of the cornea, not the refractive surgery.

rosie61 wrote:Could a person have another enhancement for the astigmatism or is 3 times pushing your luck.

Enhancements are theoretically possible so long as there is enough corneal tissue and the eye is healthy. Until a diagnosis is made for the cause of your progressive astigmatism, additional elective surgery of any kind is probably not wise.

rosie61 wrote:My appointment is next week and I would appreciate any insight or help on what to ask about.

Please report back your doctor's findings.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Return to Had It A While Ago