Just a question about flap healing, etc.

If you are thinking about having Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL eye surgery, this is the forum to research your concerns or ask your questions.

Just a question about flap healing, etc.

Postby dwoods123 » Wed Mar 14, 2007 3:54 am

I'm considering Lasik and I love this web site! Some of my concerns are as follows:

The literature the center sent to me to review said that flap healing occurs at a rate of about 7 to 8% per month with full healing in perhaps a year but it also may never heal at 100%.

I ride ATV's and such so dust (I wear goggles) may be a problem. Will rubbing my eyes to clear them cause problems after a years time? Dry eyes could also make it worse even though I've never had that problem but could after Lasik.
I just don't want to tear the flap so I wonder how durable it is after full healing takes place.

Has anyone ever heard of Iris registration? They also claim to have an expanded treatment zone using the VISX Star 4 laser.

Thanks for any answers you can provide!
dwoods123

Re: Just a question about flap healing, etc.

Postby LasikExpert » Wed Mar 14, 2007 6:49 am

dwoods123 wrote:The literature the center sent to me to review said that flap healing occurs at a rate of about 7 to 8% per month with full healing in perhaps a year but it also may never heal at 100%.

The Lasik flap heals, but it is not like a scratch on your arm. It is always different. We have a detailed article about Lasik flap healing that you should read.

dwoods123 wrote:I ride ATV's and such so dust (I wear goggles) may be a problem. Will rubbing my eyes to clear them cause problems after a years time?

With or without Lasik, vigorous eye rubbing is simply not a good idea. Flooding your eyes with preservative-free artificial tears would be much better.

dwoods123 wrote:Dry eyes could also make it worse even though I've never had that problem but could after Lasik. I just don't want to tear the flap so I wonder how durable it is after full healing takes place.

A lot of sports figures - football, baseball, etc. - have had Lasik, but the eye is different and it is an issue to discuss with your doctor. A surface ablation technique like PRK, LASEK, or Epi-Lasik may be an appropriate alternative.

dwoods123 wrote:Has anyone ever heard of Iris registration?

Iris registration is the method used by the Visx S4 tracking device to keep the laser aligned with the eye. It recognizes unique patterns in the iris (colored portion of in front of the eye).

dwoods123 wrote:They also claim to have an expanded treatment zone using the VISX Star 4 laser.

The optical ablation zone of the S4 in wavefront mode is 6.0mm, smaller for astigmatism correction. You may want to read about Lasik pupil size.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby dwoods123 » Wed Mar 14, 2007 7:32 pm

Thanks for the info. I did read up on all you had mentioned and it is very informative.

My initial appointment is April 6th so I will be sure to discuss any questions I have.

I may not even go through with it as all the complications are too scary to deal with since we will be moving to a small mountain community in 2 years and the care is not there if needed. The elevation difference may be a factor as well. I am glad all this info is here to review so no one can make a bad decision but I have noticed most people on the this forum have concerns or problems they are dealing with so the ones that have never had any problems must be out there, you just don't hear from them much. Makes it hard to decide but at least I'm informed.
dwoods123

Postby Betty39 » Thu Mar 15, 2007 3:04 am

That is true, the happy lasik people don't need to come here. And there are a lot of them. The majority. I know sooo many people who had lasik and think it's the best thing they ever did. So you get a warped sense of the procedure when you come here.
However, what a wonderful resource to those of us who have had complications. Since I am the ONLY person I know who has had problems I would be lost without this site.
You are fortunate to have found this place before surgery so you can make an informed decision. I wish I had.
Betty39

Return to Thinking About It