Microkeratome Flap

Post your questions and start your research in this forum if more than three months ago you had any type of surgery to reduce the need for glasses and contacts.

Microkeratome Flap

Postby DryEye » Fri Mar 16, 2007 2:42 am

How are they created/cut?
Up and down or sideways?
Is it possible for one to see the lines of the cuts by some exam/picture?
Do they basically circle the colored part of one's eye?
I imagine cornea doctors who look at one can see them?
Thanks
DryEye

Re: Microkeratome Flap

Postby LasikExpert » Fri Mar 16, 2007 5:54 pm

DryEye wrote:How are they created/cut?

The Lasik flap is created with a microkeratome. A mechancial microkeratome uses a surgical steel blade, a laser microkeratome uses pulses of light to cause tight rows of bubbles within the cornea. Both devices are affixed to the eye with suction.

DryEye wrote:Up and down or sideways?

A mechanical microkeratome can make superior hinges (hinge at top of eye), nasal hinges (hinge toward nose). A laser microkeratome can create a hinge at any direction or angle. It was thought that a nasal hinge may reduce dry eye symptoms, but studies have not been conclusive.

DryEye wrote:Is it possible for one to see the lines of the cuts by some exam/picture?

All that would normally be seen is the outer edge of the flap, but after healing the Lasik flap can be almost impossible to see.

DryEye wrote:Do they basically circle the colored part of one's eye?

The flap is commonly larger than 9.0mm in diameter and the edge is over the iris - the colored part of the eye.

DryEye wrote:I imagine cornea doctors who look at one can see them?
Thanks

With the proper tools and techniques the edge of the Lasik flap can be seen, but often it is not possible to see the edge with the naked eye.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Return to Had It A While Ago