marion wrote:...I appreciate that you give unbiased answers since it's not YOUR work that didn't turn out!
LasikExpert wrote:Your refractive error is almost eliminated and your refractions (which is better, one or two?) are almost within normal human fluctuation for visual acuity. You probably can identify the 20/25 line of recognizable black letters on a white background in a controlled environment. That does not mean that your real world vision is what you seek.
A contrast sensitivity test may be a better measurement, along with a wavefront diagnostic and any other test that examination may find appropriate.
Remember that Higher Order Aberrations (HOA) are a measurement of an aberration, not the cause of the aberration.
In the absence of any observable or measurable abnormality, you will probably need to wait until six months postop until you do anything more. In other words, it is a healing issue and the healing won't be considered complete until about six months postop. If you continue to have quality of vision problems at that time, then I highly recommend a second opinion from a corneal specialist.
DryEye wrote:What tests tell one the causes of the aberrations?
marion wrote:That's the difficulty. His machines say that my vision is good. My eyes say differently.
marion wrote:How does one tactfully request more testing when the surgeon doesn't bring it up?
marion wrote:It seems so presumptious when he is the expert, but he always acts like everything is turning out great.
marion wrote:Is there a correction for this type of aberration? Contacts or glasses don't seem to be a solution. How do you correct uncorectable vision?
marion wrote:As you can tell, I'm getting worried.
marion wrote:So it sounds like I should ask my surgeon to perform these tests now and if he can't find anything wrong, wait until July and then find another doctor.
marion wrote:I wonder if the reason he doesn't perform these tests is because it's a really small practice and maybe he doesn't have the equipment. Is this standard equipment?
LasikExpert wrote:Ask if the doctor will refer you to a specialist who may have available additional diagnostic equimpment or specific expertise. That is a reasonable request in this kind of situation.
I recommend that you discuss the idea of a second opinion at your next exam. Your doctor may think it is a good idea now, or may agree that July would make more sense. Seek your doctor's advice.
Not every practice has the same equipment, and not every eye doctor has the same abilities. I normally recommend contacting the ophthalmology department at a university affiliated teaching hospital when seeking a second opinion. One of my reasons for this is that teaching hospitals often have sub-specialists and specialized equipment.
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest