1 month post op and question about one problem.

Research your concerns in this forum or post your questions if you have had Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL within the past three months.

1 month post op and question about one problem.

Postby JPD » Mon Mar 19, 2007 5:20 am

I would say for the most part I have had a pretty ideal outcome after my Lasik surgery. My vision since day one has been 20/15, and extremely sharp as long as I keep my eyes lubricated. I have no noticeable loss in contrast sensitivity, even at night. Dryness of eyes is very manageable with drops, and causes no discomfort.

All that being said, I have one major concern, and it deals with the most common problem. I have glare and halos around lights. They aren't bad enough to cause any problems; I would consider them just annoying. Annoying in the fact that I didn't have this problem before, but am having to deal with it now. Indoors I see kind of a haze around lights, and a haze when sunlight is coming through the window. I am almost certain the problem is not an issue with pupil size, and I believe this for two reasons. One, I see glare and halo's around lights even during the day, in very broad daylight. Two, I can stand outside at night looking at streetlights, and use a light to shrink my pupils and it makes no improvement. Also, things such as sitting in a dark movie theater watching a movie cause me no vision problems at all. I suppose it could be due in part to dryness, as at my most recent follow up appointment I was recommend another type of drop to be used in addition to what I am currently using, plus I was given a prescription for Restasis. However, I'm very certain this can't be due completely to a dryness problem. Putting preservative free drops in my eyes doesn't make any improvement on the situation.

Now, I realize all this is considered very normal for the first month, and even considered normal for as much as three months. And by three months should be completely gone. This isn't what concerns me. What does concern me is, I would think that even if it takes a full three months to clear up that along that three-month period you should see a gradual improvement. Where as, at the one-month point I have seen absolutely no improvement. It looks the same today as it did on day one. I addressed this at my last follow up appointment, and the answer I got sounded reasonable and made sense at the time, but later I realized I wasn't satisfied with the answer because I've never heard it anywhere else regarding this problem.

Here is my question. Even though I'm still very early into the healing process, the fact that I haven't seen any improvement up to this point, what reason do I have to think I will see any improvement from this point on? And what might be the cause of all this?

I don't know if this helps any, but as a little bit of background info, I was -4.00 in both eyes, with no astigmatism, and also no astigmatism post op.

Thank you.
JPD

Postby LasikExpert » Mon Mar 19, 2007 8:12 am

The Lasik flap is still in the early stages of healing. During this time the interface where the flap meets the underlying cornea can create a light scatter and present sympoms similar to what you describe.

It can take time before your flap reaches the stage of healing when the interface is tight enough that light passes through with less or no scatter. You may want to learn about Lasik flap healing and Stage IV will be of significant interest. Keep in mind that your healing process may be different than the norm.

A recent study noted that more people have light scatter with flaps created with a laser (All-Laser Lasik) during the first few weeks, but at three months postop scatter is virtually the same as a Lasik flap created with a blade.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby JPD » Mon Mar 19, 2007 3:01 pm

LasikExpert wrote:The Lasik flap is still in the early stages of healing. During this time the interface where the flap meets the underlying cornea can create a light scatter and present sympoms similar to what you describe. It can take time before your flap reaches the stage of healing when the interface is tight enough that light passes through with less or no scatter.

That's exactly how it was explained by the doctor at my follow up visit. Maybe he wasn't giving me a BS answer. I did have the intralase flat as well.

You may want to learn about Lasik flap healing and Stage IV will be of significant interest. Keep in mind that your healing process may be different than the norm.

A recent study noted that more people have light scatter with flaps created with a laser (All-Laser Lasik) during the first few weeks, but at three months postop scatter is virtually the same as a Lasik flap created with a blade.

I'll check out that website. I guess I'll just keep hoping for the best over the next two months.

Thanks Glenn.
JPD

Return to Just Had It