Hospital environment drying eyes????

Post your questions and start your research in this forum if more than three months ago you had any type of surgery to reduce the need for glasses and contacts.

Postby susieQ » Mon Mar 19, 2007 4:35 pm

I've been spending lots of time in the hospital since last Tuesday with my mother who is in ICU. Seems like my eyes just stay dry the whole time that I'm there. I was doing so much better with the dryness but this is a little set-back I suppose. My vision isn't as good as it was either. I have also been crying so that probably doesn't help much either. Any suggestions other than use drops more frequently. Thanks so much!
susieQ

Postby LasikExpert » Mon Mar 19, 2007 7:53 pm

Sorry to hear of the difficulties.

Some hospitals, especially Intensive Care Units (ICU), use air filtration systems to reduce the probability of infection. These systems can dehydrate the air and contribute to dry eye problems. Reaction tears, such as those caused by crying due to stress, can disrupt normal lubrication tear flow.

Some artifical tears, such as Systane, are thicker and longer lasting. You may want to see our article regarding artifical tears.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby susieQ » Tue Mar 20, 2007 3:05 am

Thanks Glenn, you're the best.
susieQ

Postby Remander » Sat Apr 21, 2007 5:58 am

I've been spending lots of time in the hospital since last Tuesday with my mother who is in ICU. Seems like my eyes just stay dry the whole time that I'm there

I had Lasik in Jan 8, '07 and very slight enhancement 4/19/07.

Post Jan '07, I had MUCH more dryness in large, air-conditioned buildings like a hospital (where my doc's clinic is located), my workplace (5-story building, and supermarkets filled with coolers and A/C.

In my home, in the car, or outside, things were MUCH better. Pretty darned good, actually after several weeks.

Just before my enhancement, I was to the point where I could go to Kroger grocery store without drying out much, and I seldom needed drops at work anymore.

Post-enhancement: I may have to start over a bit now, but it appears I can work through it in a few months based on past experience. It's too soon to tell how the enhancement will change things.

Thank goodness for Systane. I like to keep a few vials in the refrigerator for some nice cool comfort. Aaaahhh!!

Hang in there, and I bet you will work through the dryness too. And I am sorry to hear about your family troubles. Best of luck with everything.
Remander

Postby susieQ » Sat Apr 21, 2007 7:10 pm

Thanks for the reply. I think that I'm doing very well with the eye dryness now except when I'm in the hospital. Mom is here with me now so maybe I'll be away from the hospital for awhile. Strange that you should mention the grocery stores. I find that every time I'm in the grocery store my eyes are terrible. I started using drops when I go in and that certainly helps. I guess it's the a/c and all of those coolers. I hadn't thought about that. Thanks for your nice words. Have a great day!
susieQ

Return to Had It A While Ago