Hi there! A couple of questions...

If you are thinking about having Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL eye surgery, this is the forum to research your concerns or ask your questions.

Hi there! A couple of questions...

Postby Mr.Johnny » Tue Mar 20, 2007 4:41 am

Hi! I found this forum while searching and it seems an excelent source of information.

I am considering lasik surgery, but I have some doubts (As normal):

I'll be reading this board for the next days regarding issues as cornea thickness, lasik types, flap healing, but for now, some quick questions:

- Without details, what exams should be performed before the operation (cornea thickness, eye tear quantity (?), etc) ?

- Should I demand a copy of the results of those exams to myself?

- Should I demand that the procedure is recorded on video?

- I've seen those horror videos where the flap gets trashed, what happens later in a situation like that? Does the tissue regenerates or not?

- From what I've read so far, there's a more "mechanical" way of cutting the flap (a blade?) and a more modern way (using laser). Flap cutting is what worries me the most, what's the best (less agressive) way presently of cutting the flap?

Thanks in advance! :wink:
Mr.Johnny

Re: Hi there! A couple of questions...

Postby LasikExpert » Tue Mar 20, 2007 4:57 am

Mr.Johnny wrote:Without details, what exams should be performed before the operation (cornea thickness, eye tear quantity (?), etc) ?

General ocular health
Health history
Manifest refraction
Cycloplegic refraction
Topography (includes thickness)
Shirmer
Tear Breakup
Pupil size (dim light)
And a host of others, but even these are not performed by all doctors. Different circumstances may indicate additional tests, such as retina exam if you are very myopic (nearsighted, shortsighted).

Mr.Johnny wrote:Should I demand a copy of the results of those exams to myself?

That depends upon what you want to do with them. All US doctors are required to maintain patient records for quite some time. If you need the information later, it would be available.

Mr.Johnny wrote:Should I demand that the procedure is recorded on video?

Again, that depends upon what you are going to do with it. If you are thinking of inviting the neighbors, popping some popcorn, and putting your eye surgery on the big screen, you are probably not going to be very popular with some neighbors.

Mr.Johnny wrote:I've seen those horror videos where the flap gets trashed, what happens later in a situation like that? Does the tissue regenerates or not?

Each case is unique. Underlying corneal tissue does not regenerate, but the outer layer does. Later surgery is sometimes able to resolve refractive error. I know of one case report of a patient involved in a car accident with a flap dislocation. The ER doctor did not know better and removed/discarded the flap. The patient was (surprisingly) able to see as well without the flap as before surgery - once the epithelium had healed. You wouldn't want to count on that, but it has happened.

From your questions it sounds like you are not only expecting the worst, you are planning for the worst. This is elective - arguably cosmetic - surgery. If you have such strong doubt, just don't do it.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby Mr.Johnny » Tue Mar 20, 2007 5:16 am

I would just like to gather all the information I need, before making my mind. I am a pessimistic person, maybe that's why I'm starting with the worst questions... :oops:

Huh, could you give me an opinion about this machine's specs by today's standards?

Thanks!

Note: This post was edited to remove an image.
Mr.Johnny

Postby LasikExpert » Tue Mar 20, 2007 7:13 am

The device for which you requested information is a Nd:Yag laser. Yag lasers are not used for refractive surgery.

Your best source of relevent information will be a competent doctor after s/he has provided a comprehensive examination.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Return to Thinking About It