Glasses for distance with monovision

Post your questions and start your research in this forum if more than three months ago you had any type of surgery to reduce the need for glasses and contacts.

Postby LasikExpert » Tue Mar 20, 2007 4:26 pm

Yes. Distance vision is slightly limited with monovision and is not as good with both eyes open day or night. At night, a light glowing halo will emit from light sources. It is easy to note the difference by closing one eye and then the other. The halos are not debilitating, in my case, and I am able to function fine with them if I did not have my distance glasses, but I prefer the highest quality vision when driving. All the other people on the roads probably prefer I have the highest vision quality when driving too. And the cats. And the dogs. And the telephone poles.

(8^)>
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby kellymasonmom » Tue Mar 20, 2007 4:56 pm

Thank you for your candid response. I know no one else that has experienced monovision so I appreciate you sharing your personal experience.
As I stated before, you are an excellent source of information.
Thank-you
kellymasonmom

Postby yawny » Wed Mar 21, 2007 4:03 am

I had monovision about 7 weeks ago, and at first I had the halos really bad, but notice that they are improving all the time. If my eyes are tired they are worse. I have glasses corrected for the close up eye to see distance for night driving, but I don't always use them, and I don't have any trouble, so perhaps I am just adapting to it. I have these same glasses corrected to see close up in the other distance eye, so they help with both things. I have noticed that as the lights get closer the halos disappear, so I assume that they are because the close up eye is not corrected for distance, but part of this is just because of the surgery in general, because I also have them slightly in the distance eye.
yawny

Postby kellymasonmom » Wed Mar 21, 2007 1:06 pm

That is exactly what I have! As the headlights of oncoming cars get closer the halos disappear. Do you think that it is improving? I had my surgery about 7 weeks ago and am not sure that it is improving. I have problems wearing my glasses so I have to hope that it will improve.
Thanks for your input.
kellymasonmom

Postby yawny » Sat Mar 24, 2007 4:07 am

Yes, I do feel that it is getting better all the time. I had a friend who also had the surgery, and she said that it improved to where at 6 months post op, that it was not noticeable anymore. I only seem to have problems when my eyes are really tired, and also from a really dark area , then coming into brighter light, but I think that is an accomodation issue to, because I am 57.
yawny

Postby kellymasonmom » Sat Mar 24, 2007 4:58 am

Thank you for your response. I have noticed a big improvement in the last 2 days. I hope it continues. I sometimes wonder if part of the improvement is that I am just getting used to the halos or if they are truly getting better. I am so happy that I chose monovision correction because except for the night vision I love it! If I could just tolerate my glasses for driving at night my vision would be perfect. Do you wear glasses for driving at night?
kellymasonmom

Postby yawny » Sat Mar 24, 2007 5:39 am

I have the glasses, and occasionally I use them. It sort of depends on the length of the drive. If I were to go long distances or be driving, ie travelling at night I would definitely use them, but my husband usually does the freeway driving, so it is not usually an issue. I am also glad I did monovision. People don't realize that if you are presbyopic, you probably would not be able to read your watch or your cell phone, etc. not to mention putting on eye make up. My doctor suggested we just do one eye, so that also cut my cost in half, since my eyes were not that bad, and I was really tired of wearing contacts.
yawny

Previous

Return to Had It A While Ago