blurry distance vision

Research your concerns in this forum or post your questions if you have had Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL within the past three months.

blurry distance vision

Postby amilli » Tue Mar 20, 2007 5:11 pm

I had custom lasik surgery on 3/8/07. The next morning, I had better vision, but not really clear. I have seen improvement over the past week, and my short and mid range vision is pretty good -- short very clear, mid mostly clear. However, my distance vision is not clear. I can see far, but words, features, and outlines of people are blurry. I had one day (Sunday) where for about 5 hours my distance vision was much better. However, for the most part, it is blurry. I have definitely been experiencing dry eyes, not sure about any swelling. Is this normal? Should I be getting concerned that I am undercorrected or anything yet? How long do you continue to experience vision improvements after lasik? Is it typical to experience periods of good vision, followed by longer periods of blurriness?
amilli

Re: blurry distance vision

Postby LasikExpert » Tue Mar 20, 2007 5:43 pm

amilli wrote:Is this normal?

What you describe sounds like the normal healing process after microsurgery on your eyes.

amilli wrote:Should I be getting concerned that I am undercorrected or anything yet?

You should not judge the results of surgery until 3-6 months postop.

amilli wrote:How long do you continue to experience vision improvements after lasik?

Fluctuations are reasonably expected during the normal six month healing process.

amilli wrote:Is it typical to experience periods of good vision, followed by longer periods of blurriness?

When Lasik induced temporary dry eyes is an issue it is reasonable to expect good days and less good days while your eyes heal. You may want to read about Lasik flap healing and Lasik dry eye treatment.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

follow up

Postby amilli » Tue Mar 27, 2007 4:22 pm

Glenn had my 2 week follow up visit with my doctor yesterday. Combined vision was 20/25 however, right eye is worse than my left. He said my flaps are healing well and look great. Also, said I have some residual near sightedness. Although, I am happy with the distance I can see at 2 weeks, alot of time I have double vision in my left eye, and blurriness in my right eye this makes my overall distance vision far enough, but not clear enough. My doctor says, I need to sit tight and that it should continue to improve. Also, he keeps referencing my type A, uptight personality and that to achieve best vision I need to relax, etc. Have you heard of that before, re: type a's being a component of healing due to "over focusing", etc. Also, I do have a lot of dryness and he put in the dissolving protien plugs to help. Any thoughts or advice?
amilli

Lasik and Type A Personality

Postby LasikExpert » Tue Mar 27, 2007 8:40 pm

You can constantly try to focus around a minor refractive error. This can cause headaches and other problems. It is probably best to allow your brain to focus naturally and without conscious effort on your part. It may be easier said than done, but try not to pay attention to focusing.

We have a few Type-A personalities who visit us (you know who you are) and I'm sure they will tell you just how difficult it is to not be obsessive about less than perfect vision.

It is not likely that additional anxiety and stress are going to help you heal, but it is very likely they will cause you as much or even more trouble than your eyes. There is nothing so bad that you can't make it worse by freaking out.

That said, concern and anxiety when you didn't get what you expected to get when you expected to get it is healthy. You just need to keep it from getting away from you. Be honest. You are doing the Lasik Salute (cover one eye, and then the other to compare vision) all the time, aren't you? And you probably have a Snellen eye chart taped on the fridge. Checking your healing progress is a good idea, but multiple times in a day is not checking...that is getting toward obsessing.

In addition to the stress level, it seems some Type-A's will drown themselves in artificial tears while researching the web for all errata about Lasik. Artificial tears are fine and so is doing research, but again, you need to keep it from getting away from you to the point of obsession.

You are two weeks out of microsurgery on your eyes. It is reasonable for things to not be perfect. Despite the ads, not that many people get the "20-Minute Miracle". It's just that months after everything is fine, they forget that it took weeks for vision to resolve.

You will find support here from other TypeA's, B's, and even the occasional C (they are not really concerned if you pay attention to them or not, but if you do that's okay too, whatever) and I'll do what I can to research specific questions. It sounds like your doctor is providing reasoned advice, and he is the medical professional who has actually examined your eyes.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Return to Just Had It