Starbursts and halos in dim light / dry eyes

Research your concerns in this forum or post your questions if you have had Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL within the past three months.

Starbursts and halos in dim light / dry eyes

Postby ben » Tue Mar 20, 2007 6:38 pm

Right Eye - 6.25 astigmatism -2.00/-1.75
Left Eye: - 6.5/6.25 astigmatism -2.5/2.25
Corneal Thickness 570
Pupil in Dim Light 6mm
Pupil in Complete Darkness 7mm

Hello, I just had Wavefront LASIK last week. My vision in daylight is crystal clear 20/20. In dim light or at night, I've started to notice halos and starbursts.

The halos I don't mind much, but the starbursts can get big. The starbursts occur in dim light when my pupils dilate - I checked by putting a light on my eyes and the starburts disappear (but halos remain) - I turn off the light and the starbursts magically grow.

Is this normal and is this a part of the healing process and will it go away in a few weeks/months? What causes starburts? Is this something fixable with enhancement surgery?

Also, my left eye has larger starbursts than my right.

As for dry eyes, after 1 week, just seems like minor dry eye - at the end of the day, they feel dry, but nothing too uncorfortable yet. Does dry eye have the potential for getting worse or is the 1 week mark a good indication of whether I will get worse dry eyes?

One last question: my doctor does 1-day and 1-month follow-up. Isn't it normal to have a 1-week checkup as well?

By the way, so far, I am very happy with the outcome of my LASIK...

Thanks,
-Ben
ben

Re: Starbursts and halos in dim light / dry eyes

Postby LasikExpert » Tue Mar 20, 2007 6:51 pm

ben wrote:Is this normal and is this a part of the healing process and will it go away in a few weeks/months?

At this point in the healing process vision changes under different lighting conditions is very common.

ben wrote:Also, my left eye has larger starbursts than my right.

Each eye may heal differently and at a different rate.

ben wrote:As for dry eyes, after 1 week, just seems like minor dry eye - at the end of the day, they feel dry, but nothing too uncorfortable yet.

The nerves that carry the signals to tell you that your eyes are dry have been disrupted. You need to be diligent about dry eye management even if they do not feel dry.

ben wrote:Does dry eye have the potential for getting worse or is the 1 week mark a good indication of whether I will get worse dry eyes?

Depending upon many factors, Lasik induced temporary dry eye can fluctuate throughout the first several weeks to months after surgery.

ben wrote:my doctor does 1-day and 1-month follow-up. Isn't it normal to have a 1-week checkup as well?

Different doctor have different routines. You should report your difficulties to the doctor's office and allow them to determine if you should be see earlier, but do not be surprised if they tell you this is all normal and they will see you in a month.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Return to Just Had It