Is a warranty necessary

If you are thinking about having Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL eye surgery, this is the forum to research your concerns or ask your questions.

Is a warranty necessary

Postby s0th3a » Thu Jul 06, 2006 6:57 am

Hi. I have gone in for a consultation at a lasik eye center and was recommended to go wit the VISX Custom. I have a few different plans to go with depending on which "warranty" i would like to receive. There is a 3 years assurance plan, lifetime, or no assurance plan. I was told that if my sight changes or gets worse then it will be corrected again free of charge. Not exactly sure of all the details though.

I am currently a college student and really don't want to spend the extra money if it is not necessary. Is it necessary to spend the extra money for this assurance plan? I am 22 yrs old and my sight is around -1.75 in both eyes. It has been pretty stable for the last 4 years or so. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
s0th3a

Postby LasikExpert » Thu Jul 06, 2006 11:36 am

It is great that a surgeon is confident enough in the care s/he provides to offer a “lifetime warranty”, however there are many problems with this concept starting with: Whose lifetime? I highly recommend you read Lasik Lifetime Warranty.

If the patient is overcorrected, enhancement surgery should be included to resolve the inappropriate outcome no matter what. Verify that this is included. Your refractive error is very low, so regression should not be a problem. Only you can decide what is best and without knowing every detail of the limits and exclusions of the “warranties” it is difficult for me to comment specifically, but you will want all follow-up care for at least one year minimum.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby s0th3a » Thu Jul 06, 2006 9:50 pm

Thank you very much for your prompt reply. I will definitely be sure to ask about the follow-up care withing the first year if needed.
s0th3a

Return to Thinking About It