EXTREME light sensitivity-2 weeks after PRK

Research your concerns in this forum or post your questions if you have had Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL within the past three months.

EXTREME light sensitivity-2 weeks after PRK

Postby jwat106 » Mon Mar 26, 2007 1:47 am

I had my PRK procedure done on Friday 3-9-07 and then on Thursday 3-22-09 I began to expierience EXTREME light sensitivity. Is this normal? How long will it last if it is and if it's NOT normal, what could it be? My next apointment isn't until Wednesday 4-9-07. I had NO problems before this and had very little pain during the healing period, I have taken my drops like I was told( except my systane for 2 days prior to the episode because my eyes didn't feel dry) I'm now even doing GenTeal Gel at bedtime. PLEASE help.
jwat106

Postby tiggy » Mon Mar 26, 2007 2:53 am

Hi jwat106,

Ouch! Are you wearing your sunglasses? I had to wear mine indoors off and on during the first month. It was even difficult for me to use a computer with out changing the brightness and using sunglasses. 8) This did improve after about the 4 week mark.

Please keep doing the daily drops (systane or what ever doc recommended). From what I understand our eyes aren't reliable at telling us whether they are dry or not during the post op healing period. I was told to use Systane every 2 hours.

Best-
Tigs
tiggy

Postby LasikExpert » Mon Mar 26, 2007 4:28 am

Light sensitivity can be a symptom of a reaction to the medications commonly used after PRK, LASEK, or Epi-Lasik. You should report this to your doctor and ask if a change in medication is appropriate.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby jwat106 » Mon Mar 26, 2007 5:18 am

Thank you both for replying! I've been off all medicated eye drops since my one week follow up, when the bandage lens were removed and was told to continue using my Systane.I started using the Systane in a bottle, is there a difference between that and the Preserative Free Systane? I didn't even think to ask my Doctor on Friday3-23-07, but I was told to continue using my Systane and to include GenTeal Gel at bed time. Again Thank You both for replying back to me, I've been going crazy, I was so desperate that I posted a bulletin on myspace asking for help! :^)
jwat106

Postby LasikExpert » Mon Mar 26, 2007 6:36 am

Systane in a bottle will use preservatives. The single-use vials will be preservative-free. Preservative-free is the best for eyes that have just had surgery, but give your doctor's office a call and ask if they have a specific preference.

We should also clarify terms. Light sensitivity (photophobia) generally means pain inflicted when in the presence of normal light. Glare would be when light causes vision quality to drop dramatically.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby tiggy » Tue Mar 27, 2007 8:22 pm

Yep, I had light sensitivity for about 1 month. Especially when my eyes got tired. Sunglasses did help- even indoors.

Keep us posted on how things turn out.

Tigs
tiggy

Postby jwat106 » Wed Mar 28, 2007 12:09 am

I'm still sensitive just not AS bad. I hope it completely goes away! I'll keep you posted :^)
jwat106

Return to Just Had It