Ortho K After Lasik

Post your questions and start your research in this forum if more than three months ago you had any type of surgery to reduce the need for glasses and contacts.

Ortho K After Lasik

Postby mccracwm » Thu Mar 29, 2007 9:39 pm

I had Lasik 9 years ago with no complications. I have regressed to -.75 in my left eye and -.25 in my right eye. I have moderate dry eye as my left eye blurs sometimes. Night vision is horrible. Glasses seem to help the night vision. I have Accuvue Oasis contacts that I can tolerate for about 4 hours that my OD says fits amazingly well for a post lasit patient. I have read a lot recently about Ortho-K and like the idea of just sleeping in lenses for 6-8 hours a night and not having to bounce back in forth between glasses and contacts during the day. Just curious if anyone has tried this and if this may be an option.

thanks
mccracwm

Postby LasikExpert » Thu Mar 29, 2007 10:34 pm

Rigid gas permeable (RGP) contact lenses are often successful in resolving the symptoms you describe, including halos at night. Because your current refractive error is so low, Orthokeratology (Ortho-K) may provide some benefit.

You may want to request an evaluation by the surgeon who provided your Lasik 9 years ago. Newer technology may help identify the source of your night vision difficulties. If it relates to an imballance in the refractive error in the center of the cornea to the periphery of the cornea, Alphagan P eye drops may help by reducing the size of the naturally dilated pupil. You may want to read our article about Lasik pupil size issues.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby mccracwm » Fri Mar 30, 2007 1:30 pm

Thanks Glenn! I have visited my Laser Surgeon and he recommended that I not have an enchancement as he felt the risks out weighed the rewards at this time due to my small amount of correction.
mccracwm

Postby LasikExpert » Fri Mar 30, 2007 4:20 pm

That is wise advice. If you had never had surgery and walked in with this prescription, the doctor would not likely recommend surgery. Enhancement surgery has some advantages, but this is a very small amount of refractive error.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Return to Had It A While Ago