Alcon LADARVison 4000 or VISX Star4

If you are thinking about having Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL eye surgery, this is the forum to research your concerns or ask your questions.

Alcon LADARVison 4000 or VISX Star4

Postby coloradogal » Sat Jul 08, 2006 1:36 am

I've been researching these two laser systems. Do you have an opinion on which is better? I went to the FDA's web site on Lasik and both manufacturers’ web sites.

The main differences seemed to be:
--the eye tracking. LADARVision uses a laser and VISX uses Video (whatever that means...).
--the type of laser beam. LADARVision is 'Small Spot and VISX is 'Broad Beam'.
--closed-loop vs open-loop system. LADARVision is closed, VISX is open. According to the Alcon web site a closed-loop system is a constant connection between the eye tracking device and the laser system to influence the placement of the laser beam.
--the amount of nearsightedness and astigmatism they can correct. LADARVision 4000: nearsightedness up to -7D with -0.50D to -4.00D Astigmatism. VISX Star S4: nearsightedness up to -6D with less than -3 D Astigmatism.

My last prescription was OD -6.00 -1.50 x 25, OS -6.75 -1.50 x 171. I’m 54 and have tentatively decided to get monovision. I’ve been to one doctor so far and he said my cornea thickness was 650(whatever).

Thanks for your help.
Lynda
coloradogal

Postby LasikExpert » Sat Jul 08, 2006 6:34 am

Lynda,

There is nothing in the information about you and your eyes that indicates one laser would be significantly better than the other. There are many studies that show both would have a relatively high probability of providing a good outcome, based upon the information you have provided. I would like to clarify a few points.

The closed loop v. open loop is probably not as significant an issue as it sounds. Both tracking systems have been shown to provide adequate tracking.

The Visx is a broadbeam laser, but it has an iris system that reduces the size of the beam. The LADARVision is a small gaussian beam spot. Some doctors feel the small spot is better, however results for a moderate myope (nearsighted, shortsighted) person like you are quite similar.

Your corneal thickness indicates that if your corneas are otherwide helathy, you have enough tissue to be able to have Lasik and maintain corneal stability.

I recommend that you read about Lasik and Monovision and Custom Wavefront Lasik,
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby coloradogal » Sat Jul 08, 2006 4:10 pm

Thanks for the quick reply! I've read those articles. I have a visit to another doctor scheduled--never hurts to get another opinion.
Lynda
coloradogal

Postby LasikExpert » Sat Jul 08, 2006 4:38 pm

The more opinions the better. If you can find three doctors who agree on a point, you are reasonably assured that point is accurate.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Return to Thinking About It