1 week post-op and thankful for this site!!

Research your concerns in this forum or post your questions if you have had Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL within the past three months.

1 week post-op and thankful for this site!!

Postby DAvila » Wed Mar 28, 2007 1:25 am

Hi All!

Well, I'm 1 week post-op and excited about what the future holds. I say that not because I am not experiencing dry-eyes or because my vision is wonderful, but because after reading postings on this site, I know that what I am experiencing is a typical healing process.

I have great closeup vision. I was told that I would need reading glasses because I used bifocal glasses/contacts. My mid to distant vision is not good, YET!

I have had issues with eye drops both now and prior to the procedure. Prior to the surgery, my surgeon wanted to make sure I kept my eyes moist. I found the eye drops irritating my eyes more than they helped both inside and out. Actually, my eyes would be "stuck" shut in the mornings because my eye lashes would gather the extra liquids. I switched over to a homeopathic solution Similasan, and found relief almost immediately.

Now after surgery, my doc said he didn't want me to use the homeopathic drops... again, the natural tears (4 different ones) irritated my eyes again. Today, I just bought my first preservative free product, I'll let you know how it goes.

My doc is watching me pretty closely though. I will be seeing him again this Friday due to the dry-eyes and the inflammation (using Pred Forte 6x a day), finished with the Quixin 2 days ago.

I know quite a few people who have had Lasik and their experience is very different. They didn't even want to tell me that their vision was perfect from day one and never changed. I was a little concerned until I found this site. Not Any Longer. Anyway, I think things are going as expected. :D

Thank you all for your postings.
DAvila

Postby etess » Wed Mar 28, 2007 1:59 am

Glad you found this site. I am one month post op...and this site/forum has been SO helpful! I have had a rough recovery...but that's all relative. I mean, there are others who have had a harder time than me...so in some respect, I feel I shouldn't complain.

My biggest issue has been dry eyes. Do you have dryness?
etess

Postby DAvila » Wed Mar 28, 2007 2:20 am

I don't think I have dry-eyes. I think my eyes have gone on vacation to the sand dunes and forgot to ask my permission (hehe). I'll continue to "drown" my eyes with drops until I don't need it any longer.
DAvila

Postby LasikExpert » Wed Mar 28, 2007 2:30 am

The inflammation that your doctor diagnosed may be responsible for your mid-distance vision not being on the mark. The inflammation can both cause dry eye and dry eye can exacerbate inflammation. It is a nasty cycle that needs to be managed. It sounds like your doctor is doing a good job of monitoring and advising you. You may also want to read our article about Dry Eye Treatment.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby DAvila » Wed Mar 28, 2007 2:39 pm

Thanks for your posting Glenn. I had already read the article about dry eye treatment. That is how I ended up with the no preservative drops I'm using "Refresh Endura"... so far so good, no eyes sticking together in the morning!
DAvila

Postby DAvila » Wed Mar 28, 2007 2:44 pm

Glenn - a quick question. It seems like people are strongly recommending Restasis. At what point should I ask about it? Seems like I'm going to be healing with severe dry-eye as well.

Thanks
DAvila

Postby LasikExpert » Wed Mar 28, 2007 11:29 pm

Restasis can increase the flow of fluids that comprise natural tears by reducing inflammation around the channels that carry these fluids. If your dry eye relates to inflammation, then Restasis is likely an appropriate treatment along with preservative-free artificial tears and other dry eye management techniques.

Your eye doctor undoubtedly is familiar with Restasis, however any time is a good time to discuss all dry eye management methods with your doctor. It is never too soon or too late.
Glenn Hagele
USAEyes

Lasik Info &

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

11 days post op - update

Postby DAvila » Sat Mar 31, 2007 6:24 pm

I went in yesterday for a quick checkup at 9am. My vision was actually much worse than last week (about 20/40). My eyes were so dry and I knew that fact was impacting my vision. I was having to put drops in my eyes almost every 5-10 minutes. The doctor (not the surgeon) did a Schirmer test and found that I collected only 3mm (10mm is normal) in 5 minutes and also said it looked like my eyes were a bit nearsighted. I'm hoping this will correct itself a with healing. The doc put in 6 month tear duct plugs and the surgeon wanted to see me in the afternoon.

I returned at 5PM, had new topologies taken and did the eye test. Already my vision was 20/15 with some fluctuation. The surgeon reviewed the findings, my flap, etc. He was very happy with the flap healing, reviewed the topologies with me and showed me the rectangle shape my topologies had where the astigmatism was removed and is healing. He took me off Pred Forte 6xdaily to 1x day for 1 week and then stop. He also put me on Restasis. I'm still using drops to keep my eyes moist, but not nearly as often.

I can tell the difference in vision already in just a few hours!! Funny what moister eyes will do for your vision - Thank You Duct Plugs!
DAvila

Postby LasikExpert » Sun Apr 01, 2007 6:20 am

It's good to hear of such quick improvement with the punctal plugs. These will keep tears from flowing away too quickly. The Restasis is intended to help more tears get to the eyes, however Restasis does not become fully effective until about three months of use. You may get some benefit before them (serveral people here have remarked as such), but full benefit takes some time.

The tear film serves many functions that contribute to vision quality and ocular health. Dry eyes can cause all sorts of problems.
Glenn Hagele
USAEyes

Lasik Info &

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby DAvila » Sun Apr 01, 2007 2:18 pm

Quick Question...

My husband and I went out last night to a social even where the room was filled with smoke. This during the night and this morning, my eyes were REALLY dry and even my near vision isn't well. When I put my Pre Forte in it burned just a bit like it did the first day. Do you suppose all the smoke irritated my yes?
DAvila

Postby etess » Sun Apr 01, 2007 6:00 pm

I would think the smoke did irritate your eyes. I'm 5 weeks post-op and just last night went out to a restaurant where there was smoke. I didn't smell it or see it...but my eyes were killing me! I looked around...and there were people smoking at the bar...we were sitting in the bar area but not at the bar.

I guess it's still too early to go out to an environment where we know there are irritants....

Etess
etess

Return to Just Had It