Enhancement in one month

Post your questions and start your research in this forum if more than three months ago you had any type of surgery to reduce the need for glasses and contacts.

Enhancement in one month

Postby carmen123 » Mon Apr 02, 2007 4:33 pm

LASEK was performed July, 2006.

Pre-op: Both eyes around 9 - 9.5

Currently: Left Eye, -1.75 Right Eye, -.25

Complications: Night Vision is still bad. The starbursts are horrible while driving. I've been wearing glasses, and that helps with the starburts in the left eye, but not the right.

Vision in dim light is also bad. Things look fuzzy.

Questions: Is there any chance that an enhancement will help night time/dim light vision? I know that any refractive error at all, can cause starbursts, but I have a feeling that my problems are due to my pupil being too large at night or low light settings.

Is alphagan-P the only solution to redue pupil size? (besides light obviously)?

Also, do enhancements usually take as long to heal from as the original surgery? I know for me, I originally had both eyes done, and there was a significant amount of "tissue" removed. For the enhancement, however, it will only be one eye and less tissue. Should this make a difference at all?

Thank you!
carmen123

Re: Enhancement in one month

Postby LasikExpert » Mon Apr 02, 2007 5:30 pm

carmen123 wrote:Is alphagan-P the only solution to redue pupil size? (besides light obviously)?

Pilocarpine is another eye drop that will constrict the pupil, but it tends to be more disruptive to the eye. Alphagan P is more commonly used to reduce the size of the pupil. If you have not already, you may want to read our article about Lasik pupil size issues.

carmen123 wrote:Also, do enhancements usually take as long to heal from as the original surgery?

The healing process will be about the same. What will be very different in your case is the regression issue. Regression would not normally be expected with the relatively small amount of correction that will be attempted with your enhancement surgery.

carmen123 wrote: I know for me, I originally had both eyes done, and there was a significant amount of "tissue" removed.

This may have been a factor in your current night vision problems. The larger the treatment zone, the greater the amount of tissue that must be removed to achieve the same refractive change. It may have been that the treatment zone was reduced to save tissue. You would need to discuss this with your surgeon. A purpose of your enhancement may be to expand the treatment zone.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby carmen123 » Mon Apr 02, 2007 6:35 pm

Thank you very much for responding.

If you happen to know - in what ways does the pilocarpine disrupt the eye? Would it be considered unsafe? I only ask because the alphagan doesn't work as well over time..

Also, since my right eye is still doing pretty well, there is no plan to "enhance" it, however, could an enhancement be performed to enlarge the treatment zone like you mentioned? Or is that, in general, too risky for a correction so small?

Lastly, I understand that at least 250 microns (?) of corneal thickness is recommended. I was just wondering how having a smaller treatment zone would decrease the thickness? I know it is less tissue overall, but isn't thickness decreased but "how deep" the laser has to go? This might be a dumb question, but I just want to understand why the doctor would make as large a treatment zone as possible (i.e. larger than the pupil in darkness).

Thank you.
carmen123

Return to Had It A While Ago