Mistake of using tears with preservatives (PRK)

Research your concerns in this forum or post your questions if you have had Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL within the past three months.

Mistake of using tears with preservatives (PRK)

Postby dreamer1107 » Mon Apr 02, 2007 8:16 pm

Hi, first of all thank you so much for this site, as it is helping keep me sane! :D It seems I'm not alone in experiencing some of these problems, and the information you've provided is invaluable!

Also, thanks to your site I learned I've been mistakenly using Systane with preservatives since days after my prk surgery. My question is how much damage have I done by using preservatives all this time? I'm about 4 weeks since having PRK done. (I'm very frustrated that my doctor and team didn't explain this enough to me) I'm worried that using the wrong drops has actually made my hazing, ghosting, and starbursts worse (along with the acuity).
Thanks so much!
Julie
dreamer1107

Postby LasikExpert » Mon Apr 02, 2007 11:05 pm

It is possible that current poor vision can be attributed to the preservatives in your artificial tears, however when you discontinue their use and start with preservative-only artificial tears the problem should resolve with healing.

PRK has a rather slow vision recovery process. Even with the best artificial tears it can take some time.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby dreamer1107 » Tue Apr 03, 2007 12:51 am

What a relief! Thanks so much for your reply. I thought I'd done more serious damage by using the tears with preservatives. :roll: Phew!
dreamer1107

Postby LasikExpert » Tue Apr 03, 2007 2:40 am

Do be sure to let your doctor know about the artifical tear use. Not only as reference for your situation, but so they may better instruct future patients.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Return to Just Had It