Residual corneal thickness

Post your questions and start your research in this forum if more than three months ago you had any type of surgery to reduce the need for glasses and contacts.

Residual corneal thickness

Postby victor65 » Mon Apr 02, 2007 9:23 am

After Lasik, my residual corneal thickness is 389 and 383, with a flap of 120/130 microns. Do you think that is enough to keep corneal stability?
victor65

Postby LasikExpert » Mon Apr 02, 2007 4:48 pm

Over the last five decades it has been determined that a residual corneal bed of 250 microns is enough to maintain stability in a healthy eye. More is always better.

There are a few people with less residual cornea who are stable and a few with more who are not, but 250 is the generally accepted number.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby victor65 » Tue Apr 03, 2007 11:51 am

Does risk of ectasia decrease as time goes on?
victor65

Postby LasikExpert » Tue Apr 03, 2007 4:30 pm

The effects of keratoectasia (ectasia) are likely to be realized very quickly if caused directly and exclusively by mechanical thinning of the cornea during surgery. If the patient suffers from an underlying disease such as keratoconus, the effects may not be seen until the disease progresses. This could be months, years, or never.

Screening for pre-existing ocular disease is one of the most important components of a Lasik evaluation. This is why Lasik doctor selection is so important.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Return to Had It A While Ago