Anyone with High Myopia had It??

Post your questions and start your research in this forum if more than three months ago you had any type of surgery to reduce the need for glasses and contacts.

Anyone with High Myopia had It??

Postby johnson1615 » Sat Feb 24, 2007 2:54 pm

Looking for anyone who has had lasik, prk, etc. who had a high rx. I am considering and have rx of -10.25 and -11.5.
Would like to know about your experience, if you had to have enhancements, what current rx is, etc.
Thanks.
johnson1615

Postby LasikExpert » Sat Feb 24, 2007 5:00 pm

If you get a response, it will probably be a skewed response. Those who had high myopia successfully resolved with Lasik or similar surgery are not likely to be hanging around this forum. It is more likely they are doing all the normal things of life...just with a reduced need for glasses. Those who frequent this forum, especially the "Had It A While Ago" section, are seeking answers to questions and usually those questions are about a complication. If you ask a group of people with complication about anything, you are probably going to get a rather incomplete and biased response.

As a general rule a high myope (nearsighted, shortsighted) person can expect regression of effect (in your case probably from about 1.00-2.50 diopter), fluctuation in vision during the first 2-5 months, and either being deliberately overcorrected into hyperopia (farsighted, longsighted) vision and then regression bringing you back to plano (no refractive error), or having regression bring you back to mild myopia for which enhancement Lasik surgery would be likely.

Lasik for a high hyperope is a process, not an event.

Alternatives you should consider are the lens-based techniques of Refractive Lens Exchange (RLE) or a Phakic Intraocular Lens (P-IOL).
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby carmen123 » Tue Apr 03, 2007 7:03 pm

Hi Johnson,

I had a pretty high rx (approx. -9.5 in both eyes). I had LASEK performed last July, in 2006.

I did not experience any pain during or after the procedure, only mild discomfort. At this point, 9 months later, my right eye is seeing around 20/25, but my left eye has regressed. However, I have learned from this site that regression is expected after a procedure when the rx is very high.

I am scheduled to have a "touch-up" on my left eye in about a month.

The only real issues I have is my night-time/dim-light vision, but I think that most people do not encounter these problems. In fact, I have over 10 friends who have all had the procedure and they are 100% happy.

I think the important thing is to realize that the procedure by no means guarantees 20/20 vision. It's aim is mostly to lessen your reliance on glasses/contacts. I have a hard time because all of my friends were successful, so I am dissapointed that I have had some problems, but LASEK definitely has allowed me to see much better without glasses than I could before. It is just difficult when you are so hopeful and do not get the exact results you were looking for.

Because you have such a strong rx, be sure to research which prodecure is best for you. Sometimes LASEK can be a better option than LASIK. Also, be aware that there is a possibility you could have problems at night with starbursting/halos.

I think most people are very happy with their outcome.

Best of luck!!
carmen123

Postby johnson1615 » Thu Apr 05, 2007 3:48 pm

Thanks for your reply.
I had lasik done on 2/28 and so far have had a good outcome.
At my last exam, my left eye was at about a -1.00 and the right eye was 20/20. But since then I do believe the left eye has improved to much closer to the right. I don't go back until the first of June for my 3 month exam but am hopeful that by then I may be 20/20 in both eyes!
johnson1615

Return to Had It A While Ago