how they determine the degree of myopia for my eyes?

If you are thinking about having Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL eye surgery, this is the forum to research your concerns or ask your questions.

how they determine the degree of myopia for my eyes?

Postby qiwenfarmer » Thu Apr 05, 2007 6:13 pm

I did screening consultation with Dr Wed April 4th. I have
some concerns:

1) My current glasses are too weak -- means even with glasses I can't
reach 20/20 vision. Is that going to affect the doctor's judgment on
my surgery. Because they did test my glasses' prescription, I forgot
to mention that my glasses are probably not strong enough. I hope they
don't determine the degree of myopia based on glasses' readings.

2) I couldn't read the letters of last couple lines on the white board clearly during the eye exam even with my glasses on. Do you think Dr could predict severity of my myopia precisely?

thanks for any advice
qiwenfarmer

Re: how they determine the degree of myopia for my eyes?

Postby LasikExpert » Fri Apr 06, 2007 4:54 am

qiwenfarmer wrote:I did screening consultation with Dr Wed April 4th.

A screening is not a medical evalation for surgery. A cursory evaluation and checking glasses for prescription does not constitute an exam.

qiwenfarmer wrote:1) My current glasses are too weak -- means even with glasses I can't reach 20/20 vision.

Is the problem that your glasses are too week, or is the problem that even with glasses you cannot reach the 20/20 line? There is a big difference.

qiwenfarmer wrote:Is that going to affect the doctor's judgment on
my surgery. Because they did test my glasses' prescription...

It appears that the only thing the doctor has checked is if you might be a candidate for surgery. The doctor has apparently not performed the full examination. The doctor's judgment on if you are a candidate may be inaccurate because of your glasses, but after a full exam the doctor's judgment on if you are a candidiate and the determination of a treatment plan may be different.

qiwenfarmer wrote:I couldn't read the letters of last couple lines on the white board clearly during the eye exam even with my glasses on. Do you think Dr could predict severity of my myopia precisely?

No. You need a comprehensive examination from a competent doctor. I'm not suggesting that this doctor is not competent. It is just that you had only a screening, not an exam.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby qiwenfarmer » Fri Apr 06, 2007 1:37 pm

thank you very much
qiwenfarmer

Return to Thinking About It