4 mos post op

Post your questions and start your research in this forum if more than three months ago you had any type of surgery to reduce the need for glasses and contacts.

4 mos post op

Postby tootingbec » Wed Mar 21, 2007 12:39 am

Beforehand: -4 and -6. Now:

OD: -0.25 -0.25 x031

I continue to have mild dry eye. I see a pretty strong dose-response relationship between how dry my eyes feel and how religious I am being about taking my flaxseed-oil supplements.

My eyes changed little between my 2-month and 4-month appointments, so I am going to get glasses for nighttime driving. I find that, even with that very mild prescription, my far vision is not as good as it was with glasses pre-op.

All in all, color me a textbook satisfied case.
tootingbec

Postby JPD » Wed Mar 21, 2007 12:53 am

Still wearing glasses but still satisfied?
JPD

Postby LasikExpert » Wed Mar 21, 2007 1:50 am

The most one can expect from refractive surgery is the convenience of a reduced need for corrective lenses. A reduction is not always elimination. Many people are (or would be) satisfied with only needing glasses when driving at night.

It's all relative.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby tootingbec » Sat Apr 07, 2007 2:18 am

JPD wrote:Still wearing glasses but still satisfied?

One of the main things I've gleaned from this discussion board is that the phrase "perfect vision" may not be very useful. You have to ask "Perfect for what? And at what price?"

In my daily life, I mostly focus on things less than 20 feet away (people, computers). My post-LASIK vision is perfect for that. It's definitely not perfect for driving in unfamiliar areas, especially at night, because approaching street signs stay fuzzy well after I would really like to know what they say.

If I were a taxi driver, I would be dissatisfied with my LASIK. But I'd hope that a reputable practitioner would have counseled me that, given my line of work, my chances of ridding myself of glasses were small.

I am not a taxi driver, though, so I am rid of glasses most of the time. I am around 40, so it is time for me to stop thinking of my vision as one instrument and start thinking of it as a near instrument and a far instrument. I could go back and have a LASIK enhancement to help my far vision, but that'd just bring sooner the day when I'll need reading glasses.
tootingbec

Postby kellymasonmom » Sat Apr 07, 2007 4:02 am

I love your attitude and positive outlook on your vision outcome! A lot of people (including me) should take a page out of your book. Thank-you
Last edited by kellymasonmom on Sat Apr 07, 2007 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kellymasonmom

Postby tootingbec » Sat Apr 07, 2007 7:01 am

kellymasonmom wrote:I love your attitude and positive outlook on your vision outcome! A lot of people (including me) should take a page out of your book Thank-you

Well, it's actually a page out of Glenn's book.

I was pretty cranky just after my LASIK, as I was confronting the fact that my post-LASIK vision was not as good as my corrected pre-LASIK vision. How well I saw with my glasses on was my implicit success criterion. What I've come to understand since LASIK, though, was that those glasses were correcting me well beyond 20/15.

Now that my vision is "merely" 20/15 to 20/20 (if the Snellen charts are to be believed), I've had to adjust those expectations.

I'm sure that the constant irritation and fatigue of my post-operative dry-eye colored my emotions too. My eyes are a lot moister and more comfortable now.

There have been other nuisances stemming from LASIK, too. For instance, now I can see just how grungy the shower is.
tootingbec

Postby Jules » Tue Apr 10, 2007 10:59 pm

I just had to add a quick comment regarding your comment about the grungy shower - I discovered the same thing! YUCK! How could I have taken showers in a shower that gross for so long?! - it's amazing....:)
Jules

Return to Had It A While Ago