wavefront custom and pregnancy later

If you are thinking about having Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL eye surgery, this is the forum to research your concerns or ask your questions.

wavefront custom and pregnancy later

Postby echrist » Tue Jul 11, 2006 4:45 pm

Hi,
I am getting the wavefront custom but I am also considering trying to have another baby in the near future. I have heard that you should wait a while after surgery before getting pregnant. How long after surgery should you wait? Will being pregnant later down the road mess with my results?
echrist

Postby LasikExpert » Tue Jul 11, 2006 6:10 pm

When you become pregnant your hormones go berserk and can cause changes in your refractive error. A concern would be if residual refractive error after surgery was caused by the surgery, or caused by the pregnancy. Another concern would be if medication necessary for successful surgery and recovery would be problematic for the pregnancy.

The two key events are post surgical vision stability and dissipation of any medications. Your vision could become stable very quickly after surgery; in as little as a few weeks. Your doctor can tell you when any medications would be expelled from your body. If you elect to have Lasik and then become pregnant you can discuss these issues with your doctor and make a plan for when it would be best to become pregnant, however be flexible. If your recovery takes longer or additional meds are necessary, your planning may be changed.

For more details, visit Lasik and Pregnancy.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

pregnancy and vision correction

Postby echrist » Tue Jul 11, 2006 7:04 pm

Thanks for the response!

I actually go tomorrow for my pre op and will ask more questions there. I will consult my doctor before ttc.

I understand about the medicines. How long on a typical wavefront custom laser are people on medicines?
echrist

Postby LasikExpert » Tue Jul 11, 2006 7:20 pm

If your surgery and recovery are normal, the application of medications would probably end in a week to 10 days, however the half-life of the med must be determined to affirm when it will have been fully expelled from your body.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Return to Thinking About It