Pre-op Data

If you are thinking about having Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL eye surgery, this is the forum to research your concerns or ask your questions.

Pre-op Data

Postby peakaboo » Thu Jul 13, 2006 1:24 am

I'm having customvue intralase done in about 2 weeks and am wondering if the pre-op evaluation results should have been made available and reviewed in detail with me at the time of the initial evaluation. I was told I'm a candidate for this procedure, but not much else. After reading about contributing factors to ectasia and night vision problems, I asked my doctor what my corneal thickness and pupil diameter are and he said he'd go over the details on the day of surgery. I want to know these measurements now so I can compare and discuss treatment options with others who have had the surgery or who perform lasik procedures. Am I wrong to ask for this data? If not, why is it being withheld from me after asking nicely twice? Is this a warning sign or am I just being a difficult patient? Thanks.
peakaboo

Postby LasikExpert » Thu Jul 13, 2006 4:32 pm

What you describe is not unusual. Many surgeons either do not go over the technical details with the patient, or do not go over them until the day of surgery when final evaluations are completed and the final decision to proceed is made.

It is also not unusual for a patient to request and receive this information in advance of surgery. The surgeon clearly does not understand that you require this information before you will be comfortable to make a decision about proceeding.

An email stating clearly that you cannot proceed without having this data and enough time to do your own research should be sufficient. If not, ask to have your surgery date postponed until you receive the data, making it clear that it is the lack of this data that is prompting you to postpone surgery. If the data is still not forthcoming, you can always cancel your surgery date and even consider another surgeon. I doubt that you would need to make that drastic of a change. I’m sure that once your doctor understands that you need this information before you feel you can proceed, you will get whatever data is available.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Return to Thinking About It