annual check ups

Post your questions and start your research in this forum if more than three months ago you had any type of surgery to reduce the need for glasses and contacts.

annual check ups

Postby maria22 » Thu Apr 19, 2007 12:49 pm

I just had my last check-up at the Lasik clinic (no complications) at 5 months post-OP and all further appointments will be very expensive through this particular clinic. I was told that I could come in for my one-year check-up in November, but the exam would not be covered by my health insurance. The nurse informed me about the fact that many patients go back to their regular eye doctor for the annual check-ups to avoid these extra costs.
I'm wondering if it would be advisable to still go to the clinic for the exams or if a regular annual eye exam would do. Is there anything Lasik-specific that could come up at this stage that a regular eye doc would't be able to handle as well? I though that I would try to find an eye doctor who has some experience with lasik patients if i make it to the one-year mark without any complications. I would like to get another opinion on this.....
maria22

Postby LasikExpert » Thu Apr 19, 2007 11:54 pm

After uneventful Lasik and absent any other ocular health problems your regular eye care professional should be qualified to provide an annual examination, however some "Lifetime Committment" or similar Lasik warranties require the patient to maintain annual examinations at the Lasik clinic. You need to determine the terms of your Lasik "warranty".
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby maria22 » Sat Apr 21, 2007 11:25 pm

Glenn, thank you for the information.
Unfortunately, there is no such warranty for my clinic. They only cover check-ups during the first 3 months (although I was able to schedule additional appointments at no cost when I was still contemplating a possible enhancement). Enhancements during the first 6 months are free, and I think they are 1/2 the prize for some time after that.
I mainly wanted to know if there were any lasik-specific exams that would have to be done annually. If the tests are similar to those a regular eye doc would do, I'd rather get them done for free ;)
maria22

Return to Had It A While Ago