2 month Update - on dry eyes

Post your questions and start your research in this forum if more than three months ago you had any type of surgery to reduce the need for glasses and contacts.

2 month Update - on dry eyes

Postby etess » Thu Apr 19, 2007 3:50 am

Hi there! Well...I am at the 2 month mark. Just went to the eye doctor yesterday. Interesting visit.

First of all, my left upper plug had fallen out. I didn't even know. My right one was bothering me...rubbing against the eye. Actually, I didn't know for sure if I was just feeling normal dry eye discomfort or if the plug was irritating me. He took the plug out...and that irritation feeling isn't there.

Eyes are still dry...don't get me wrong...but I don't feel that I have to itch my inner right eye like crazy.

My main issue now is the burning....mostly in my right eye. Why is one eye different than the other? I know that they heal at different rates...but my right eye is noticably drier.

Could this be why my vision in my right isn't as good as my left? Or could my poor vision be causing the dryness?

My vision is actually very good....sometimes I think I'm a nut for even thinking that my right eye isn't good. I am pushing 20/20 and 20/25. This is good....very good....right? I am surprised that I notice such a difference in my vision, however. I didn't think that there would be a noticable difference between 20/20 and 20/25. It bothers me most when driving...and when looking things far away.

My eye doctor also put me on Lotemax to help while the restasis kicks in. Just started that today. I am worried that I will feel great with the lotemax...and the horrible after the 1 month that I'll be on it. I can only take it for one month....just hope that after this 1 month period...the restasis starts to do it's job.

I also switched from Thera Tears Nutrition to Bio Tears. The recommended dosage is 2 capsules 2x/day. I am wondering if I can take more....like 2 cap 3x/day. Does anyone know?

Thanks....

Etess
etess

Postby Betty39 » Thu Apr 19, 2007 4:41 am

Hi Etess!
Glad to see you are doing better. I have been actually much better (almost afraid to say so, don't want to jinx myself again) This past week and a half I have been only using my Restasis 2x a day and my genteal gel at night. No drops during the day. My eyes are now only feeling like a minor irritation now and then. I had a tough week the first week or so off the Lotemax but now I am at the same level of comfort (maybe more) as I was on it. I think it just takes some people A LOT of time for their eyes to heal from this. I have the silicone plugs in the lower ducts and they fit great. I don't even know they are there except in a make up mirror I can see them. But they seem to be working.
Good luck on your continued recovery!
Betty39

Postby Betty39 » Thu Apr 19, 2007 4:54 am

Oh I forgot...it is very normal for one eye to heal faster than the other. My right eye is the drier of the two as well. It's the dry eye that causes the less than crisp vision. However for some reason my eye sight is great in both eyes. The doctor was suppose to slightly undercorrect me in the right eye for mini mono vision which he said would help me later. But if he undercorrected me I don't notice, both eyes see the same.
As far as the Biotears. I am not sure if you should up your dose that much. It might cause some digestive upset. Not to mention how expensive that would be! Maybe you should ask your doctor first. And finally, I think 20/20 or 20/25 is very good vision. I never saw very good in my contacts, especially the right eye because of it's astigmatism and my not wanting to wear a toric lens. I just got used to it. So compared to that my vision seems awesome to me now.
Betty39

Postby LasikExpert » Thu Apr 19, 2007 5:00 am

It is very common for one eye to have a different healing process and duration than the other.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby etess » Fri Apr 20, 2007 1:36 am

Betty! Thanks...and it's SO great to hear you are doing better! Wonderful!

I feel pretty good today...not perfect...but I can feel an improvement....and that keeps me positive.

I have been thinking though about my left eye vision. I know that 20/25 is good...and from what I read...that would be considered a success. However, I feel my eye straining when I'm looking at things far away....driving....signs...and when I walk down my school hallways...I can usually make out the students...but they are not clear to me.

If both eyes were 20/25, I would want to wear glasses....so I know that my 20/20 eye is helping me...

Sorry babbling...but today I was thinking about all of this and wondering (don't scream)....if I should consider (when the time comes) to get enhancement. And then I think....STOP....after everything I've been through...
etess

Postby Betty39 » Fri Apr 20, 2007 4:16 am

Um..I did SCREAM! I was like...OH NO!! But I think you should see how you heal and how the dry eye resolves before you do anything. I know for me, I would never do an enhancement. I would wear a contact or glasses if need be. Seriously, after the hell I have been through I feel so blessed that I feel as good as I do now, even though there are still some dryness issues. Of course this is easy for me to say since my vision is good. But honestly, I don't think there is anything that would make me allow them to lift my flap and start the healing process all over again. It was tooo hard for me. But you aren't me and you have to make that decision on your own and with the help of your doctor. But think long and hard about it.
Take care!
Betty39

Postby etess » Fri Apr 20, 2007 8:47 pm

Haha! I laughed out loud when I read your post, Betty! I totally agree with you! When I think back to the really bad days...and I remember saying that I would never get an enhancement...what was I even thinking!

:-)

Eyes are very good today...
etess

Return to Had It A While Ago