Purpose of the steroid drops?

Research your concerns in this forum or post your questions if you have had Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL within the past three months.

Purpose of the steroid drops?

Postby lvziggy » Fri Apr 20, 2007 4:58 pm

My dr. gave me some steroid drops called FML after my procedure. I am supposed to be using them 4X a day for the first month and tapering off after that. I ran out of them yesterday so the drs. office called in a prescription to "the place where I get prescriptions" (for some wierd reason when I tried to post this the website said I couldn't use the word "Phrmcy" - sorry, had to misspell it just to get it in), but "the place where I get prescriptions" won't have them until this afternoon. So, yesterday instead of using them 4x I was only able to use them twice. I didn't use them after about 2 in the afternoon. Well, this morning when I woke up my eyes felt better than they have since my surgery! A LOT better! I didn't have the dry scratchy feeling that makes me get up earlier than I would actually like to just so I can put in some artificial tears, and I didn't have all the crustys making my eyelashes stick together.

I was wondering if this is just a coincidence, or if it is because I didn't use so many of the steroid drops? It also made me wonder about the purpose of the steroid drops. From reading others' posts here it sounds as though different doctors recommend them for different amounts of time. I'd sure like to not have to use them so much since they make my vision blurry for awhile after I use them, plus if this morning isn't a coincidence, I'd REALLY like to stop using them (or at least not use as much).

~Alison
lvziggy

steroid drops

Postby ShawnJ » Fri Apr 20, 2007 8:56 pm

Alison,
I am not an expert, matter of fact, just had my customvue lasik this monday and am doing ok so far, but can relate to the steroid drops. I have had conflicting directions on mine too. The center i had my lasik done at said to use 1-2 drops each eye 4xday for 4 days. My eye doc who is doing all my followups told me to use them every 2 hours for 3 days, then taper off on 4th day. From what I have read and heard, (i am using econopred plus), the steroid drops are for reducing inflammation, swelling, and to promote more rapid healing.
I agree with your issues, I too have had better feelings with my eyes, when first wakeing and not having used them for awhile overnite. The white stuff that remains in the eyes from them is not always comfy, hard to get out of the corners of my eyes, and almost impossible to get off my eyelids. Thankfully today is the last day I have to use them, at least for now or until I have my one week followup next Tuesday. Am also on my last day of Vigamox, which is my antibiotic, so will just be down to using Systane lubricant drops tonite and then on.
I wish you well and hope some of my own info i have gotten from docs, and internet is useful for you. As far as you not using them so much, I would recommend following your own doctors orders, cause if you got an infection, well, then he would probably be upset with ya.

Shawn
ShawnJ

Postby lvziggy » Fri Apr 20, 2007 10:44 pm

Shawn, you sound like an expert on the steroid drops! The white stuff those drops put in your eyes can be a pita. I get a white film over my vision for awhile after using them. I do intend to follow my drs. recommendation, but at my next check up I may ask if I can at least use fewer drops during the day. But, I'm not as concerned now about the fact that I am missing some drops until I can get to the phrmacy to get more. I just wasn't sure how critical those drops are.

~Alison
lvziggy

Postby LasikExpert » Sat Apr 21, 2007 1:51 am

Topical steroids are an important part of the healing and recovery process after Lasik and similar laser eye surgery. They can induce other temporary symptoms, but you should not change or discontinue their use until after consulting with your doctor.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby Mr_Kravitz » Sun Apr 22, 2007 10:31 pm

I thought the steroid drops (I used Econopred Plus) was to slow down the healing. I saw my doctor 7 days post op and he told me to only take them for another three days instead of seven as I was a "slow healer".
Mr_Kravitz

Postby LasikExpert » Mon Apr 23, 2007 5:17 am

Steroids are multipurpose and are used as an anti-inflammatory as well as controlling healing response. This is one of the many reasons why it is so important to follow your doctor's instructions for application of all medicine and to not suddenly stop using your steroids without doctor instruction.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

I wish

Postby ShawnJ » Mon Apr 23, 2007 4:09 pm

lvziggy wrote:Shawn, you sound like an expert on the steroid drops! The white stuff those drops put in your eyes can be a pita. I get a white film over my vision for awhile after using them. I do intend to follow my drs. recommendation, but at my next check up I may ask if I can at least use fewer drops during the day. But, I'm not as concerned now about the fact that I am missing some drops until I can get to the phrmacy to get more. I just wasn't sure how critical those drops are.

~Alison

Thanks, but am by far, not an expert! My vision has cleared up tremendously since i finished up the drops last friday, eyes feel great, and was out and about at night this weekend, have to say, its the best my night vision has ever been that i can remember.
Only other blurriness I have is when I put in the Systane Tears now and then. Going to my doctor for one week followup tomorrow, and have no dry eye problems yet either, so maybe i can stop those, or switch.
Best of luck to you!
Shawn
ShawnJ

Return to Just Had It