Almost two weeks--still good--question about drops

Research your concerns in this forum or post your questions if you have had Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL within the past three months.

Almost two weeks--still good--question about drops

Postby sere1 » Thu Apr 26, 2007 12:06 am

So, I've had three post-op visits in the last 11 days (Basic LASIK with microkeratome 4/14). My left eye was swollen a bit more than the optometrist would like, so he increased my PredForte and gave me another steroid cream to use at night (ugh. Hated that stuff. Could not get it out of my eye in the morning.) That was a week ago.

Yesterday I went in, and he seemed really impressed with my progress. He's tapering me off of the PredForte, and I can stop the steroid cream. I'm still 20/20 in my right eye, and my left eye has caught up (although it did get a boost as by the time they tested my left eye, I realized the last digit on the 20/20 line was always a number, so I shouldn't say "Z;" I should say "2"). So, overall, I'm 20/20 in both eyes. :)

I'm really excited about my vision being so great! (before OD -6.5; OS -7.0, astigmatism around .25 for each) Last night I unconsciously reached for my glasses when I had to get up in the middle of the night, and it was nice to remember "Hey, I don't need them to find the bathroom!"

I haven't had any big problems with dry eye; late at night I seem to need the tears with increasing frequency. I've also found that I really like the Systane compared to the Refresh. I put them in less frequently, and there seems to be more in the vial (technically there isn't, but they're thicker, so I use fewer).

I do have a question for the forum: I asked my doctor for coupons for the tears; he came back with a sample vial of something called "Optive" which is in a bottle, as well as a coupon for it. (I didn't know about the bottle until I opened it at home, otherwise I would have asked there.) He said it was similar to Systane.

It doesn't say preservative free, so I'm guessing that it's not. Has anyone used the stuff? I haven't tried it yet, and would like to hear from someone before I do.
sere1

Postby JPD » Thu Apr 26, 2007 2:57 pm

It's in a bottle, so it's definately not true preservative free. They could possibly be the preservative free on contact type. Read the label on the bottle, if they are preservative free on contact then it should state on the bottle. I looked at the website, and "Optive" by Allegren doesn't state that it's preservative free on contact. Can you ask your surgeon if these drops are okay to take? If he gives the okay, you shouldn't have any worries using what your doctor recommends.
JPD

Postby lvziggy » Thu Apr 26, 2007 5:21 pm

My optometrist gave me sample bottles of both Optive and Systane. She said they were very similar to each other. I asked if they were preservative-free and she said no, but that they were fine for me to use. That confused me since Glenn always says that after laser surgery you should use only the preservative-free single-use vials. So I don't know what to think either.

~Alison
lvziggy

Postby maria22 » Sat Apr 28, 2007 7:05 pm

There are actually a couple of brands which make completely preservative-free artificial tears in a bottle. They come in special pump bottles (usually patended systems that keep the air out off the bottle.)
I'm not sure if these are available in the US or not, but I've found them really helpful.
I was also reluctant to use drops with preserves, even though my eye doctor gave them to me the day of my surgery......
maria22

Postby marion » Sat Apr 28, 2007 7:49 pm

My surgeon also gave me a bunch of bottles of Optive. The sales reps must have been out in force last month! It made my eyes feel sore so I stopped using it.
marion

Postby LasikExpert » Mon Apr 30, 2007 10:57 pm

Many doctors will tell patients that the preservative free on contact or even artificial tears with preservatives are okay after Lasik, however if that patient starts having problems you can bank on the doctor recommending a switch to true preservative-free in individual use vials.

We are a more conservative bunch here and strongly believe that it is better to not wait until problems arise. Start with and keep with true preservative-free artificial tears.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Return to Just Had It