Lasik Wavefront Surgery- 3/23/07

Research your concerns in this forum or post your questions if you have had Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL within the past three months.

Lasik Wavefront Surgery- 3/23/07

Postby eyespy » Mon Apr 02, 2007 11:42 pm

Hello all. I had Lasik done with a Wavefront on 3/23/07.

My contact prescription was -4.75 in my right and -5.00 in my left. It's been 9 days since the procedure and my vision has been pretty blurry since surgery but, I can see well enough to drive in the daylight. I haven't had any real problems with dry eye but I have been keeping up on the drops.

I was able to see 20/20 no problem in my contacts, sometimes seemingly 20/15. The surgeon said i had a 96% chance of seeing that well before my procedure. I know I am quite early in the healing process but I haven't seen any significant clarity changes. I do seem to see clearer in the mornings but it gets blurry rather early in the day.

I should add that I can read signs that are pretty far away but it's nowhere near what seems liveable. Low light situations are very blurry still. Should I still be able to expect some significant changes from healing? I have yet to see really clear since the procedure.

Thanks alot! This site has been quite helpful so far.
eyespy

Postby LasikExpert » Tue Apr 03, 2007 12:08 am

You are correct that it is very early in the healing period. Lasik is more of a six month process than a 20-Minute Miracle. Report your vision limitations to your doctor, but don't be surprised if the reponse is to be patient and let healing take its course.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby eyespy » Tue Apr 03, 2007 12:10 am

That's pretty much what I figured. I do thank you for your follow up response and I will continue to post with updates. My first follow up is in a week. I didn't want to rush to any conclusions, but I have friend who have had it done and said they saw very well right away.

But alas, we are all different...
eyespy

Postby LasikExpert » Tue Apr 03, 2007 2:39 am

You probably would not expect to be able to put in your friend's contacts and see well. Equally, your eyes may be very different.
Glenn Hagele
USAEyes

Lasik Info &

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby eyespy » Tue Apr 03, 2007 7:52 pm

This question may be difficult to answer, but, with my job I am at a computer all day. I use drops quite often and try to rest my eyes as much as possible, but longer computer use shouldn't have a negative effect on the progression of my vision should it?
eyespy

Postby LasikExpert » Tue Apr 03, 2007 8:54 pm

There are two major issues that relate to computer work. One is that computer users tend to not blink often enough and this contributes to dry eyes. Frequently closing your eyes for a few seconds can be very helpful, as well as artificial tears.

The other issue is accommodation (changing focus to near objects). Computer monitors tend to be about 18-24 inches from your eyes. Unless you are using spectacles with correction for this distance, your eyes will be in a constant state of near focus. This can stress the muscles that relate to accommodation.
Glenn Hagele
USAEyes

Lasik Info &

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby eyespy » Thu Apr 05, 2007 4:51 pm

Day 13 update-

I was very happy on the way to work today. My distance vision was much clearer, especially in my left eye. I am confident that I will be seeing 20/20, seemingly even close to 20/15 once the healing process is done!

It's easy to jump to early conclusions and have early frustrations, believe me. I just wanted to post my progress and optimism. I have my 1st follow up on Monday. I will update more then.

This site is very helpful...!
eyespy

Postby Jules » Thu Apr 05, 2007 6:20 pm

Eyespy - I was reading your post - and started thinking that I was the one that actually wrote it! I had my Lasik 3/23/07 also, and my right eye was -5.00 and my left eye -3.75. (Apparently I also have a slight astigmatism, and thinner than normal corneas).
I am going through exactly what you're going through right now! I sit at a computer during the day at work too and I have been having the same problems as you.
I've been really frustrated the past two weeks - some days I wish I would have never had Lasik, as I miss the clarity that I had w/ my contacts - but I'm hoping for the best - what else can I do at this point?
I also had friends tell me how well they could see right after the surgery, and here I am suffering with blurry vision - frustrating! - but, like you said, we're all different.
Hoping the best for you - I have my first follow up appt. on Wednesday. Keep us posted, I'm anxious to hear how things go for you!
Jules

Postby eyespy » Tue Apr 10, 2007 3:59 pm

Had my "close to" 3 week follow up yesterday. They said my eyes are healing very well. When testing my vision on the eye chart, I read at 20/20 just fine with both eyes. I could read the 20/20 line well with my left eye but had a little trouble on the right. Then she said, just for kicks, to try the 20/15 line with both eyes. Well, I could read that too!

Suprising since I still am having some blur issues. I can read distant signs and see images far off but everything still seems off. She said healing should take care of this, I am still very early in the healing process. Lower light situations seem to be problamatic still but it seems I have slight improvement each day.

I am excited for things to clear up even more. I seem a bit picky hoping for better vision than this even, but the blurriness still annoys me.

Will post more soon...
eyespy

Postby eyespy » Wed Apr 18, 2007 6:13 pm

Glenn and others. Here is a question I have.

I am just short of a month from my surgery date. I have seen improvement but things remain somewhat blurry, especially in my right eye.

I see about a second of crystal clear when I put in eye drops but it quickly fades. Is that an indication of what I will potentially see after healing more, or is that more of a liquid lens that boosts my vision?

I hope that makes sense. Oh, I also see clearer in the morning. I assume that's normal and I hope to see that well all the time in the future.

Thanks!
eyespy

Postby LasikExpert » Wed Apr 18, 2007 6:26 pm

It may be that your eyes still suffering from Lasik induced temporary dry eyes. It may also be that for a brief moment the artificial tears temporarily "thicken" your corneas and this changes your refractive error. The Snellen 20/whatever test does not measure refractive error, only visual acuity and that is visual acuity with familiar black letters with sharp edges on a white background in a controlled lighting environment. Not exactly the real world.

If at three months postop you are still having some problems you should ask your doctor for a refraction (which is better, one or two?). This will provide an eyeglass prescription and determine your residual refractive error. It is a bit early now to draw any conclusions.
Glenn Hagele
USAEyes

Lasik Info &

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby eyespy » Mon Apr 23, 2007 7:30 pm

Is blurry indoor, or low-light vision something that can correct itself as the healing process continues?

What are others experiences?
eyespy

Postby eyespy » Thu Apr 26, 2007 6:22 pm

I hate to be a bugger, but as listed above, has anyone had problems with clarity in darker lit situations, but got better later in the healing process?

Thanks!
eyespy

Postby LasikExpert » Mon Apr 30, 2007 11:06 pm

Poor vision in a low light environment relates to the size of the pupil. In bright light the pupil is small and light entering the outer edges of the eye is blocked by the iris (colored portion of the eye). See Lasik pupil size.

In low light the pupil becomes larger and light at the outer edges of the cornea reaches inside the eye and is "seen". The edge of the Lasik flap has a lot of healing to do and this can induce the night vision blur effect. You should not assume this is permament. Many, many people report halos during the first few months with clearing later in the healing process.
Glenn Hagele
USAEyes

Lasik Info &

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby eyespy » Tue May 01, 2007 3:25 pm

Thank you. I was concerned because I never had this problem with contacts.
eyespy

Next

Return to Just Had It