Hemming and hawing

If you are thinking about having Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL eye surgery, this is the forum to research your concerns or ask your questions.

Hemming and hawing

Postby mueber » Tue Apr 24, 2007 5:02 pm

My last prescription was: OD -7.75 +0.50 x 075
OS -4.50 +0.50 x 123.
ADD +1.75
The surgeon is recommending wavefront LASIK for the left eye and traditional LASIK for the right, more severely nearsighted, eye. He noted a quiver in my left eye that may preclude Wavefront and very slightly thin corneas, but is already to go if I am.

I am yet to feel comfortable enough with LASIK to go ahead with the surgery. I admit it; I’m a worrier. Has anyone else experienced this hemming and hawing? What led you to decide to go ahead with the surgery, and how do you feel about it now?

I left a message with the surgeon asking how many LASIK procedures he has done and how many had a degree of nearsightedness similar to my right eye but have not yet heard back from him. I’ll let you know what he said when he calls back.

Thanks for your help.
mueber

Postby LasikExpert » Tue Apr 24, 2007 8:29 pm

I'm reminded of the old saying that the difference between an optimist and a pessimist is that the pessimist is better informed. That may not be true for Lasik, but even if the odds of a good outcome are relatively excellent, Lasik is surgery and surgery is not perfect. Add to that the cost, and pause is appropriate.

Your surgeon can advise you and the specifics of your circumstances. I can research specific questions you may have. Our website is full of information and experiences. Ultimately, however, the decision is yours.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby lvziggy » Wed Apr 25, 2007 5:06 pm

Mueber, I hemmed and hawed for years about having laser surgery. Just the thought of letting someone zap my eyes with a laser beam freaked me out, although I always yearned to not have to wear glasses. I finally decided, with the help of this website, that the doctors who do laser surgery really have a good understanding of what issues to be careful with. Then, when my optometrist recommended a particular surgeon, I decided to go for it.

Now, having finally made the decision to go for it after thinking about it for so long, imagine my extreme disappointment when the surgeon said I wasn't a good candidate! I was all set to go and he told me he wouldn't do it! At least not the lasik, which of course is what I wanted. He would do the PRK, but I didn't want that. So I fumed for another year since by then I really wanted to have it done. But again, with the help of this website, I researched some more and realized that PRK really wasn't such an awful alternative, and in some ways is even better than lasik. So I had PRK done in March, I now see 20/20 and have none of the lingering problems some people who post here are having. I'm really glad I had it done, and I'm really grateful for this website and all the information it provides!

~Alison
lvziggy

Postby mueber » Wed Apr 25, 2007 6:30 pm

As an update, the eye surgeon called me at work and, although I only had a moment to talk to him, said that he had not done that many that were as nearsighted as I am in my right eye, but that the real concern for him was that “You don’t have the thickest corneas in the world.”

He said he had done some calculations and suggested a referral to a clinic that can do the Intralase all laser method of creating the flap because it might allow for doing wavefront mapping of the right eye, as well as the left, which should improve the final result.

Either he is a really honest guy, or he’s getting a great kickback. Either way, I appreciate his candor. I still haven‘t made up my mind, but it can’t hurt to go to a nearby clinic for an evaluation.
mueber

Postby lvziggy » Wed Apr 25, 2007 7:03 pm

Maybe you could talk to the dr. about having PRK? I was in a similar situation as you, very nearsighted with thin corneas. I'm very sure that had I had lasik rather than PRK I wouldn't be as happy with the final result.

~Alison
lvziggy

Postby ksoldan » Thu Apr 26, 2007 1:17 am

Mueber
The going back and forth is awful! I too, am a worrier and feel the need to research everything. One question always leads to another, what if> It's exhausting. Like Gleen says though, it really is up to the individual on if he/she feels the risks are worth the benefits. After serious consideration over the last 10 months or so (and 3 opinions), I've decided that I going for it. I'm scheduled for PRK tomorrow morning. I have a similiar prescription to yours (right -7.50, left -6.75) corneal thickness of 550). Like Alison, I was really turned off from PRK so much so that I didn't even look into it again until about 7 months after the first Dr. mentioned it to me. But from what I'm told, the optics will be better and with less risk. I will admit that I'm terrified at this moment! As a worrier, you can understand! I;ll keep you posted. Good luck.
K
ksoldan

hemming and hawing

Postby dwoods123 » Mon Apr 30, 2007 1:11 am

I know all about the reluctance and doubts. I had my consultation on Friday (27th) and told myself that if their was even one red flag I would not go through with lasik.
Turns out I'm a great candidate according to the DR. but I beleive they did not know I was pretty informed what to ask and look for because of some of the comments like "you have larger than normal" pupil size but only told me they were between 6 to 7mm or so but I know the machine they use treats a 6mm zone and that the wave scan showed some things that were of concern but since there was only one or two red flags on it, it shouldn't matter. They also were pressuring me to make a decision then and there and would not tell me my glasses prescription until I asked three times for it.

Long story short, I will not go with these people to do any kind of surgery as they are too reluctant to give up the info needed for a decision.

Maybe later down the road I will go to another Dr. but I'm so skeptical about the outcome plus I'm 40 and will need reading glasses in a few years anyway.

The decision is a personal one and I'm opting out.

D.
dwoods123

Postby mueber » Wed May 02, 2007 1:56 am

lvziggy wrote:Maybe you could talk to the dr. about having PRK? I was in a similar situation as you, very nearsighted with thin corneas. I'm very sure that had I had lasik rather than PRK I wouldn't be as happy with the final result.

~Alison

The original physician is concerned about scaring in the case of my right eye if he does PRK. My appointment with the referral surgeon next week. I'll let you know how that goes.
mueber

Postby LasikExpert » Wed May 02, 2007 4:46 pm

PRK on a Lasik flap can cause haze in the flap, however the use of Mitomycin C intraoperatively seems to resolve this issue.
Glenn Hagele
USAEyes

Lasik Info &

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby mueber » Wed May 09, 2007 12:41 pm

Went to the referral eye clinic yesterday, and, after an examination, the doctor recommended Intralase and Wavefront. He said my left eye is routine and there is nothing about the health and prescription of my right eye that is of concern. They stressed that they are very conservative in their judgments, and I felt surprisingly comfortable with them.

So, the surgery is scheduled for 12:30 on May 18. I'm warming up my credit card, and I'll let you know how it went in a couple of weeks.

Thanks to the administrators of this site for all the information. I've read many of the articles on the site and forwarded the links to curious friends.

Cheers,

Mark
mueber

Postby LasikExpert » Wed May 09, 2007 3:57 pm

We will be looking for you in the "Just Had It" section.
Glenn Hagele
USAEyes

Lasik Info &

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Return to Thinking About It