Central Islands

Post your questions and start your research in this forum if more than three months ago you had any type of surgery to reduce the need for glasses and contacts.

Central Islands

Postby Tortoise » Sun May 20, 2007 5:38 am

First, a big "Hello" and "Thank you" to everyone - I have been perusing this site since having IntraLasik surgery on both eyes this past January.
I went in for a follow-up yesterday and, after a topography scan, was informed I have a central island on my left cornea, which would require an enhancement to correct. My doctor (not the surgeon) noted that the island would explain my continued complaints of double vision in my left (dominant) eye. Since I am still on Restasis and artificial tears, the doctor had previously thought that dry eyes might be the cause.

My question is, with excimer lasers and WaveScan technology, is a complication such as mine "normal" for an all-laser procedure? Also, what assurance do I have that the enhancement procedure will be beneficial? Thanks.

Tim
Tortoise

Postby LasikExpert » Sun May 20, 2007 11:16 pm

Central islands are not normal, however they can occur. When cells ablate tissue off of the cornea they create a "cloud" that can block the laser light on the next pulse. If any moisture is on the cornea, the ablation can be irregular. If the laser does not maintain registration one area may get less desired ablation than another. Alll of these elements can cause a central island.

Depending upon the nature of the central island, enhancement surgery may resolve the problem. I highly recommend you seek a second opinion before making a final decision about additional surgery.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby Tortoise » Mon May 21, 2007 11:49 am

Glenn, thank you for the quick reply. Since the doctor recommended waiting 3 more months for additional healing, I will have some time to think about deciding whether to have the enhancement. I plan to visit my primary care optometrist to get his input prior to scheduling an enhancement.

Tim
Tortoise

Postby LasikExpert » Thu May 24, 2007 12:06 am

Discuss with both your surgeon and optometrist if Orthokeratology (Ortho-K) or CLAPIKS may be helpful.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Return to Had It A While Ago