General Guideline for Medication Response Induced Edema?

Research your concerns in this forum or post your questions if you have had Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL within the past three months.

General Guideline for Medication Response Induced Edema?

Postby JACQUI » Sat May 19, 2007 7:11 pm

Hi Glenn--
Just wondering, what would be a reasonable amount of time to expect corneal edema to dissipate as caused by a response to the Tobradex drops? I took them for 5 days (4x/day) and my Dr. thinks that's what's causing the poor vision in that eye. He was kind of multi-tasking at my appt. though and I forgot to ask him that question. Thanks so much -- Love this site -- Has been my best friend lately. You 'da bomb.
Jacqui
JACQUI

Postby LasikExpert » Sat May 19, 2007 9:23 pm

Trobadex active ingredients are Tobramycin and Dexamethasone. has a half-life of about two hours. Dexamethasone has a half-life of about three hours. Within a few days the meds will be out of your system (assuming you are otherwise healthy), however the previously induced effects of the medication may take much, much longer.

Think of it this way. Compare the amount of time it takes for you to get whacked on the knee with a hickory branch, and then the amount of time for the pain and swelling to resolve. A reaction to Trobadex may have been a metaphorical whack on the knee and it will take some time for the effects to resolve.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby JACQUI » Mon May 21, 2007 2:57 pm

But it will resolve, yes?
JACQUI

Postby LasikExpert » Mon May 21, 2007 9:12 pm

Undoubtedly edema caused by Trobadex will resolve with healing, however only your doctor will be able to advise you appropriately.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Talked to Dr. today...

Postby JACQUI » Mon May 21, 2007 10:38 pm

Actually, I asked his assistant 3 questions, and she got them answered for me -- Dr. said (just in case anyone else out there is experiencing the same thing):
My ques. #1 -- Should I be using hypertonic saline drops to try to draw the fluid out of the cornea. His ans. -- No, these are only used in more severe cases of edema
My ques. #2 -- Should I really be using so much of the Systane vials (he said every 1-2 hrs. at my last visit), putting all of that fluid back into the eye, when the corneal edema is basically a result of too much fluid, and therefore swelling, of the interior of the cornea? His ans. -- Yes, that frequency is good to keep them moist and promote healing.
My ques. #3 (same thing I asked Glenn) -- What is a reasonable amount of time to expect corneal edema as a result of eye drops to resolve itself, and I was shocked by His Ans. -- It can be a very slow process, and can take up to a month (usually), but will hopefully resolve in less time than that.

So, no overnight miracles in vision quality improvement with the drug-induced edema. It's a wait and see process which drives all of us extreme Type A's insane (yep, I'm one of them). I then asked the assistant about using the lubricating ointment overnight and she said she didn't think I needed it at this time, but that was her answer, not the Dr.'s. I don't see what it could hurt?

The edema doesn't really hurt, but the affected eye does feel different (like a swelling type of pressure). Has anyone else out there felt the same sensation with mild edema? Is this also normal Glenn?

Thanks again,
Jacqui
JACQUI

Return to Just Had It