Flashlight Trick

Post your questions and start your research in this forum if more than three months ago you had any type of surgery to reduce the need for glasses and contacts.

Flashlight Trick

Postby DryEye » Tue May 22, 2007 3:50 am

While I was in the dark after walking in my house other night I noticed after turning the TV on that a light across the street (viewing from my living room window) no longer had starbursts around it and neither did the LCD light on my cable box. I found it interesting, so I turned all the lights off and the starbursts reappeared. Turned on a flashlight aimed at the bottom portion of my eyes and the starbursts went away.
I had VISX CustomVue and my pupils I believe were measured at 6.5 mm in the dark.
Do you think that the abalation zone was not up to 6.5 mm? Could it only have been 4mm and blended the rest out?
I am going in for a WaveScan next week from my original surgeon. I would like to compare my WaveScan prior to surgery (last June) to almost 1 year out to the exact day.
Does this mean anything to you?
Is there anything I should ask him?
I plan on following up with a better more reputable surgeon, but am in the process of gathering as much data as possible before making my decision on what to do going forward.
I have been told I have aberrations and some astigmatism (right eye) along with mostly aberrations on my left eye from a well known surgeon and one that I plan on following up with when and if I decide on an enhancement.
As usual Thanks!
DryEye

Postby LasikExpert » Tue May 22, 2007 6:03 am

The flashlight trick works by constricting the pupils temporarily. Shining the light across the eyes -not at them - seems to do the trick just fine. The effect may be due to the outer edge of your cornea having a different refractive error or just the cumulative effect of aberrations throughout the cornea.

The smaller the area of the cornea through which light passes, the smaller the area with aberrations. This is one of the reasons why vision is so good in bright light (among others).

Your surgeon would know the size of your optical ablation zone.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby DryEye » Wed May 23, 2007 5:54 pm

Will the WaveScan show the abalation area and blend zone area?
Is there anyway to tell other than patient complaints?
Thanks
DryEye

Postby LasikExpert » Wed May 23, 2007 6:12 pm

The laser system will provide the size of the optical ablation zone and transistion zone.

Patient complaints are probably the least reliable indication of the size of an ablation zone, but the most reliable to report night vision problems.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Return to Had It A While Ago