2wks vs 4 wks

If you are thinking about having Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL eye surgery, this is the forum to research your concerns or ask your questions.

2wks vs 4 wks

Postby janahawk » Mon May 21, 2007 8:30 pm

? for Glenn -

Your organization recommends leaving contacts out for 4 weeks and as mentioned, most Dr's only require 2 wks. Just wondering if you can expand on that.

Thanks!
Jana
janahawk

Postby LasikExpert » Mon May 21, 2007 9:15 pm

We are more conservative than some doctors and err on the side of caution.

The reason contact lenses need to be removed before surgery is because they can change the shape of the cornea. If contact lens induced corneal warpage is not fully resolved before measurements and surgery, then the outcome can be less than optimal.

Some will have little warpage that resolves quickly. Others will have more warpage that requires more time. In all cases, no matter what the time required, the cornea needs to be back to its natural shape before surgery.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby janahawk » Tue May 22, 2007 5:03 am

Thanks Glenn,

I like to err on the side of caution as well (thus my 4 consultations!). I was worried about having to wear my glasses to long but now I'm thinking, heck, what's a month! I obviously want the best outcome possible and if that is what it takes so be it!
janahawk

Postby LasikExpert » Tue May 22, 2007 6:05 am

Another way to look at it is that if the outcome was less than superb, you would probably blame (right or wrong) not having the contacts out long enough.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Return to Thinking About It