Cataracts and Lasik

If you are thinking about having Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL eye surgery, this is the forum to research your concerns or ask your questions.

Cataracts and Lasik

Postby GRF018 » Tue May 22, 2007 10:55 pm

I have a consultation for Lasik on Thursday, so I'll be asking this question first. But, I thought I'd try it out here also. I am 45 years old and had Cataract surgery on one eye, three years ago. Would this, alone, eliminate me from being a Lasik candidate?

Thanks, Gigi
GRF018

Postby LasikExpert » Wed May 23, 2007 2:24 am

It is very unusual for someone to develop a cataract at such an early age, but cataract surgery does not eliminate you from being a Lasik candidate. In fact, Lasik is often used to "fine tune" refractive error after cataract surgery.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby GRF018 » Wed May 23, 2007 4:15 am

Whew, that's a relief to know. Thank you very much. I understand there may be other reasons why I may or may not be a candidate; but, I'm happy to know that my surgery will not eliminate me immediately. I appreciate your prompt response.

Thanks again, Gigi
GRF018

Postby dvesh » Fri Jun 01, 2007 4:52 pm

I've heard the same also that cataract surgery shouldn't affect the surgery. But a lot of these things are always dependent on the surgeon doing the work. Any answer whether you will be able to get the surgery done?
dvesh

Postby GRF018 » Fri Jun 01, 2007 8:44 pm

YES, I will be able to have the procedure. I have it scheduled for July 19th. The only hiccup is that I cannot have the Custom Lasik done on that eye. The mapping machine could not get a clear reading. The artificial lense makes the reading look like you're taking a flash picture through a window.....too much kickback glare. So, I have to go with the regular Lasik for that eye. The other eye was not effected and I am able to have the Custom Lasik done on that eye.

Thank you for your inquiry, and I hope this information helped.

Gigi
GRF018

Postby LasikExpert » Fri Jun 01, 2007 8:52 pm

Now that you know you know you can have Lasik, I highly recommend you consider a surface ablation technique like PRK, LASEK, or Epi-Lasik. Discuss these laser eye surgery techniques with your doctor.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Return to Thinking About It