vision worse with less sleep? Anyone else notice this?

Post your questions and start your research in this forum if more than three months ago you had any type of surgery to reduce the need for glasses and contacts.

vision worse with less sleep? Anyone else notice this?

Postby babiesforme » Mon Jun 04, 2007 7:23 am

Wondering if anyone else notices this? In my little "study" of when my vision seems less than ideal, I'm thinking it might be on the days I've gotten less sleep. But now I have to look forward since it's hard to go back and remember this. I work some late nights at a PT swing shift job and stay up way too late some nights but always get up early weekdays for kids' school and my other PT day job and tend to get lots of sleep on weekends when I can. So I'm just wondering if anyone else has noticed their vision gets worse when they are tired?

I'm also thinking it's worse on the days I have to do a lot of computer work and then try to look away for other things - that makes sense since my brain is working on close up papers and computers for extended times. But you'd think it would re-accomodate after 30 minutes or so of not doing that once I've driven home and I'm at the grocery store, cooking dinner, watching the kids' ballgame, etc.

I've also seen it mentioned here that being in bright light (sun) can make vision better so when I go outside at lunch it seems worse when I come back in. But then it seems to stay worse the rest of the afternoon. So why does my slow old brain not want to adjust? (Uh, other than it wants to head to Mexico for a traditional seista! :) )

I had my lasik done 16 month ago and don't remember this happening with contacts. Granted, if my eyes/brain are this slow to adjust, maybe my memory is too? But I'm scheduled for an enhancement in 2 weeks and I'm having a difficult time deciding whether to go thru with it or not. If it's just a matter of needing more sleep, I don't want to "over-enhance" my eyes the other direction.

Off to bed now since I'm starting my week off with way less than the ideal 8 hours! thanks for any insight or commisseration with a slow brain/eyes

Diane
babiesforme

Postby hondaeyes » Mon Jun 04, 2007 8:04 am

I might experience the same situation.. less sleep, worse eyesight..

When I use the computer more, I find that the eyes power will degrade...
hondaeyes

Re: vision worse with less sleep? Anyone else notice this?

Postby LasikExpert » Mon Jun 04, 2007 5:38 pm

babiesforme wrote:I'm scheduled for an enhancement in 2 weeks...

There is an important clue. You have residual refractive error and your eyes are constantly trying to "focus around" the error. Your eyes are in a constant state of workout. Correction of the refractive error will help. Are you using glasses all the time?
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby baseballfan » Mon Jun 04, 2007 9:04 pm

I am six months out. I also have noticed that when I dont sleep very good or not very much, I dont see as good the next day. I also still have star burst and halos at night. But, it is not bad enough that I cant drive. My daytime vision is very good.
baseballfan

Postby JPD » Tue Jun 05, 2007 12:18 am

baseballfan wrote: I also still have star burst and halos at night. But, it is not bad enough that I cant drive.

Do these night vision problems go away if you shrink your pupils back down by shining a light near your eyes?
JPD

Postby babiesforme » Tue Jun 05, 2007 5:30 am

Are you using glasses all the time?

I personally don't wear any corrective glasses/contacts at all after lasik. My vision is good enough not to. Even passed the "40 yr old" driver test 8 mo post lasik last fall. But it still could be better according to the vision tests at the doc office and my own "single eye" tests and daily life experiences (posted about this earlier).

But it's very interesting to see that other people have this same problem with being tired and having lower quality of vision. So our fast paced world is contributing to more problems than we know, huh? Does that mean if we all got 8-9 hours of sleep, then perhaps our first time Lasik experience might be right on the money or at least closer to it with less complications? (And who knows how many other less problems in life?!?! sigh.... )

Diane
babiesforme

Return to Had It A While Ago