LASIK - Then local Air Show

Research your concerns in this forum or post your questions if you have had Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL within the past three months.

LASIK - Then local Air Show

Postby sdfson » Wed Jul 26, 2006 4:47 am

Hi. I just had Custom Wavefront IntraLasik to both eyes. I had -5.5 in one and -6.0 in the other.

Well, I got the surgery on Thursday, then on Friday had my checkup appointment. I asked the eye doctor (not the surgeon, but a doc that works for him), if it would be OK to go to the local airshow on Saturday (two days after surgery). The doctor stated "I wouldn't know why not. Just wear UV wrap around sunglasses, and take lubricating drops in case they get dry from the wind."

So, I spend the WHOLE day at the Air Show, from 0830 to 1630. I had HUGE 99.9% UV dark-tinted construction/safety glasses on the whole time (except when putting in drops). My vision was AWESOME at the show. It hasn't been better my whole life. I could see leaves on trees that were accross the airport!

Now, I read that UV is bad for LASIK eyes, especially for the first week of surgery.

Well, now, my vision seems to be little fuzzy. My night vision seems to be worse than the night before the air show.

Am I over worried about this? - Even though I love flying/planes, I would have stayed put at home if I would have known it would have made even the slightest bit of difference (or the slightest chance that it would have).

PS: Was 99.9%UV sunglasses enough? Or, should I have found 100% ones?
sdfson

Postby LasikExpert » Wed Jul 26, 2006 8:33 pm

It is highly doubtful that you caused any injury to your eyes by wearing 99.9% UV blocking sunglasses. Fluctuation in vision quality is very common in the first weeks after surgery. Report your concerns to your doctor, but don't be surprised if s/he simply tells you to be patient and all will be fine. Be sure that the artificial tears you use are preservative-free. Preservative-free will come in small individual use vials. Artificial tears that come in larger bottles have preservatives that can be an irritant.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Return to Just Had It