Looking for options

If you are thinking about having Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL eye surgery, this is the forum to research your concerns or ask your questions.

Looking for options

Postby Jeff » Wed Jul 26, 2006 7:27 am

Hello, I hope this is on-topic enough for this forum.

I was recently diagnosed with monocular diplopia due to contact lense intolerance and giant papillary conjunctivitis. I work at a computer 12+ hours a day and I can tell you it sucks to have two lines of code to look at where one normally is.

I realize my condition is far from bad, but I'm looking for options:

1) I never got a clear answer from my opthalmologist: will the diplopia fade with time if I stop using contact lenses? He said something about the cells regenerating, but I wasn't sure if that meant that the ghosting would disappear.

2) I'm fairly active and so I'm wondering if I can do permanent damage to my eyes if I continue to wear contact lenses say 25% - 50% of the time.

3) Are there any contact lenses and/or solutions I should ask for (besides hard lenses) to reduce my sensitivity to them? I have another optometrist appointment tomorrow (today) for new glasses (and hopefully contact lenses) prescriptions and was considering asking for daily disposables to help the situation.

4) Will a form of surgery correct the diplopia if time will not, at least such that I won't have to wear glasses all the time? The doctor recommended I go without the contacts for 2 weeks before my optometrist's appointment to get an accurate glasses prescription, but I'm at a week and a half and feel like the ghosting has only gotten worse. Of course, I'm using an oooold pair of glasses at the moment.

Finally, is there any way to correct this problem without resorting to something so drastic as surgery or (in my case) eliminating contact lenses? Could the problems I'm experiencing have resulted from something else? I don't mind sticking with contacts as I'm not sure I'm ready for surgery, but having to deal with glasses forevermore is a bit much.

Thank you. :)

Jeff

<Edit> I'm 30, in fairly good health, myopic, with a contact lense prescription of around 1.75.
Jeff

Postby LasikExpert » Wed Jul 26, 2006 8:08 pm

Giant papillary conjunctivitis (GPC) is an allergic response that is considered to be an over-reaction of the body’s immune system. Aggressive management may be needed to prevent damage to the eyes. Flooding the eye with artificial tears is a good way to flush out the antigens that can contribute to the inflammation. Oral medication is available to help reduce the problem, and in really tough cases steroids may be prescribed.

GPC will normally resolve, however because it is an allergic response it is an issue that you may deal with again. Your monocular diplopia (doubled vision in one eye) is likely caused by damage caused from contact with the affected area and/or surrounding inflammation. If the monocular diplopia is only related to the GPC, it will undoubtedly resolve with resolution of the GPC. Your doctor will be able to provide better advice on this issue.

Switching to daily disposable contact lenses or rigid gas permeable (RGP) lenses may be required. It may be possible to return to regular contacts, but reoccurrence of GPC seems likely.

You may be interested in a new free contact lens hygiene program from Bausch & Lomb. See Wear & Care
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby Jeff » Wed Jul 26, 2006 10:11 pm

Thanks so much for your time. Just a couple more questions then:

1) The doctor seemed to indicate that it could be the contacts or lens solution that was causing the reaction (GPC). Is that true, and if so are there contacts or solution that are intended for people with these types of reactions?

2) It may be overkill if the GPC will go away by itself, but if it doesn't, will some form of eye surgery help this? It's *very* disruptive for my type of work and might be the kind of thing that puts me over the top to consider surgery.

3) The doctor mentioned that a proper eyeglass prescription would resolve my problem. Is this true?

4) What else could the diplopia be related to, given what you know of my situation?

Thanks again.

Jeff
Jeff

Postby LasikExpert » Wed Jul 26, 2006 11:06 pm

A suspected cause of GPC is a buildup of deposits on the contact lenses that trigger an allergic response. GPC can go away by itself after you stop using contact lenses, but it can also get much worse. There really is no such thing as treatment overkill for GPC.

Since a deposit buildup on contacts is the probable cause, not wearing contacts would eliminate the probable cause. Therefore using glasses instead of contacts may resolve the issue completely.

If you suffer from asthma, hay fever, or other allergies, you are probably more prone to GPC. This may be a consideration as to whether you should attempt contacts after your current bout of GPC is resolved.

Unless there is some other condition that you have not mentioned, the monocular diplopia would appear to be directly related to the GPC. Your doctor would be best able to respond to this concern.
Glenn Hagele
USAEyes

Lasik Info &

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby Jeff » Wed Jul 26, 2006 11:10 pm

The worst of the problems did occur during a particularly bad allergy season for me (coinciding with a particularly bad work schedule > 16 hours a day in front of the computer in contacts), so perhaps that was the cause/catalyst.

Thanks so much for your help, Glenn. Very much appreciated.

Jeff
Jeff

Postby LasikExpert » Wed Jul 26, 2006 11:25 pm

I'm always glad to be of service. Be sure to tell your friends of our services.
Glenn Hagele
USAEyes

Lasik Info &

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby Jeff » Wed Jul 26, 2006 11:27 pm

I will; thanks.

Jeff
Jeff