Correcting Night Vision Anomalies

Post your questions and start your research in this forum if more than three months ago you had any type of surgery to reduce the need for glasses and contacts.

Correcting Night Vision Anomalies

Postby peakaboo » Sat Jun 23, 2007 4:59 pm

I'm not sure if this has been answered before, but I'd like to know if the specific effects of halos/starbursts due to an ablation diameter smaller than the pupil can be corrected with glasses? I assume it can't because the eye requires no correction (assume plano within the optical ablation zone) except for the areas of undercorrection within and beyond the blend zone. Just wanted to be sure...thanks!
Last edited by peakaboo on Sun Jun 24, 2007 12:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
peakaboo

Postby LasikExpert » Sat Jun 23, 2007 9:51 pm

If the refractive error at the edge of the cornea is different than the refractive error in the center, it is difficult to correct the two different refractive errors with glasses.

The correction provided by glasses is based upon the patient's subjective opinion of what correction works best during the refraction (which is better, one or two?). If the pupils are small during the refraction, then only the center refractive error is going to be seen and corrected. If the pupils are large during the exam, then both center and peripheral refractive error is being corrected and the patient will select whatever seems best.

What is best is probably going to be a compromise. It is likely that the center refractive error will be overcorrected and the peripheral refractive error will be undercorrected.

Contact lenses help resolve this problem by gently reshaping the cornea and thereby making the refractive error more uniform. Rigid Gas Permeable (RGP) contact lenses work best for this reason.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby peakaboo » Sun Jun 24, 2007 12:06 am

Thanks for the reply...I was thinking this would be the case for me. I just have to wait a few decades for my pupils to naturally get smaller until they fall within the correction zone. Perhaps by then there will be some new procedure to correct this undertreated area without more lasik or prk. I don't really want to mess with my corneas any more.
peakaboo

Postby LasikExpert » Sun Jun 24, 2007 3:37 am

RGP contact lenses or Alphagan P would be the most likely non-surgical methods to resolve the problem if glasses don't do it.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Return to Had It A While Ago