eyes seeing double vision

Post your questions and start your research in this forum if more than three months ago you had any type of surgery to reduce the need for glasses and contacts.

eyes seeing double vision

Postby Double Vision » Tue Jun 26, 2007 12:38 pm

Hi. I had lasik around 2 years ago. I have a problem double vision. If I cover either eye, I see fine. But seeing with both eyes is a problem for anything above eye level. It seems that my eyes are not level (if that makes any sense)? Let me explain. If you see a picture frame or anything with a straight horizontal line. Standing say 5 feet away for example (distance doesnt matter) put your hand up in front of your face so it intersects the frame. You should be able to see a straight line still. But I dont. With both eyes open, my right eye sees the frame or line to the right of my hand at a certain level and then my left eye sees the frame or line to the left of my hand at a lower level and at a slightly downward angle. This is why I have problem seeing anything above eye level without some sort of double vision. I see fine looking down. But anything above eye level is a problem.
Has anyone ever heard of something like this?
Please help.

Walt
Double Vision

Postby LasikExpert » Tue Jun 26, 2007 6:17 pm

The symptoms you describe sounds like strabismus. Strabismus is a general term referring to ocular misalignment due to extraocular muscle imbalance. In short, the eyes are crooked and commonly known as crossed eyes, although the misalignment need not be crossed, but can be up, down, in, or out. Strabismus commonly causes binocular polyopia (doubled vision).

The fact your doubled vision occurs only when your eyes are level is consistent with strabismus.

Strabismus can be a minor nuisance, but can also be a first sign of a much more serious problem. You need to schedule an examination with your ophthalmologist and your general physician as soon as reasonably convenient.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby DryEye » Wed Jun 27, 2007 1:53 pm

Are there any other conditions that you can think of that are similar to above in that they disappear by covering one's eye, but present themselves in certain environments with both eyes open?
Black backgrounds with lettering on my computer screens are not as crisp & firm (kind of shaky??) on the outside edges vs the center.
I have had my eyes checked out & they say other than astigmatism & some HOA's all is well.
This along with some other things were definitely not here before lasik.
Thanks!
DryEye

re: double vision

Postby Double Vision » Wed Jun 27, 2007 3:52 pm

No other problems with my eyes. No other conditions. My big problem is that my eyes do not "see together" when looking at anything above eye-level. I never had this problem before Lasik. So I was thinking that maybe the laser didn reshape the cornea correctly based on the pre-operative tests done. Isnt that possible?

Helppppppppppppppp!
Double Vision

Postby DryEye » Wed Jun 27, 2007 3:57 pm

Glenn:
Any ideas on my question?
Double Vision - Was everything ok for you up until recently?
Thanks
DryEye

Re: re: double vision

Postby LasikExpert » Wed Jun 27, 2007 4:53 pm

Double Vision wrote:So I was thinking that maybe the laser didn reshape the cornea correctly...

This is inconsistent with how I understand your symptoms. If I understand you correctly, you can lower your eyes and look at an object in the distance without doubled vision (as an example, the foot of a tree), but if raise your eyes up keeping you head in the same position, the ghosting occurs.

If I have this right it sounds like a muscle imbalance. You may have some astigmatism or corneal irregularity. It is possible that your vision will ghost due to an irregular cornea, however this irregularity will usually follow your gaze.

Your eye doctor will be able to determine if you have any astigmatism and/or if you have an alilgnment problem.
Glenn Hagele
USAEyes

Lasik Info &

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby LasikExpert » Wed Jun 27, 2007 4:57 pm

DryEye wrote:Are there any other conditions that you can think of that are similar to above in that they disappear by covering one's eye...

The eyes work well together to provide the best vision. As an example, if you have astigmatism in the right eye that is on the right side and astigmatism in the left eye that is on the left side of that eye, with both eyes open the brain will use the best images from each eye to create the best overall vision. This is why people can have 20/25 vision in each eye but 20/20 vision with both.
Glenn Hagele
USAEyes

Lasik Info &

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Return to Had It A While Ago