PRK w/no enhancement

If you are thinking about having Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL eye surgery, this is the forum to research your concerns or ask your questions.

PRK w/no enhancement

Postby anchorgirl » Mon Jul 02, 2007 6:38 pm

My doctor wants to do PRK rather than lasik because I have slightly bigger than normal pupils and steep corneas. I am -7.5 in my left eye and -5.5 in the right. He says that because of the amount of correction, he will not be able to do an enhancement even though my corneas are normal thickness at about 550 microns.

Does anyone have some thoughts on how likely I am to achieve an acceptable level of correction with a single surgery?

Also, any ideas what the likelihood of problems (halos, haze, etc) being permanent (since they can't be corrected in an enhancement)

Thanks for your help.
anchorgirl

Postby JPD » Mon Jul 02, 2007 6:58 pm

With a correction of -7.5 it's not only very likely, but expected that you'll have regression and need an enhancement. Not necessarily with the -5.5 eye, but still possible.

As far as determining your likelyhood for halos and such, that can only be determined by a thorough examination from your doctor. I can tell you halos are more likely with a high correction, such as your -7.5 eye.
Last edited by JPD on Mon Jul 02, 2007 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JPD

Postby anchorgirl » Mon Jul 02, 2007 7:03 pm

But does it sound right that he says I am not eligible for an enhancement?
anchorgirl

Postby JPD » Mon Jul 02, 2007 7:14 pm

anchorgirl wrote:But does it sound right that he says I am not eligible for an enhancement?

Couldn't tell you. It all depends on what laser is being used, size of ablation zone, whether wavefront is used or not, amount of astigmatism. There is a mathematical formula which can be used to determine how much total tissue will be removed, and then you subtract that number from your total corneal thickness to determine what thickness you'll have left over. I don't know the formula, Glenn can help you with that, plus you'll need to know all the numbers to plug into the formula.

For a surface ablation, no it doesn't sound right that you wouldn't have enough tissue left over for an enhancement. Especially with your -5.5 right eye. However, if your doc is telling you that you won't have enough left over for an enhancement, he's probably telling you the straight truth. It sound's like you may be a boarderline case, and should either get another opinion or not have the surgery at all. Laser vision correction isn't for everyone. If you're boarderline, I wouldn't suggest you take any chances.
JPD

Return to Thinking About It