Help--PRK questions

If you are thinking about having Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL eye surgery, this is the forum to research your concerns or ask your questions.

Help--PRK questions

Postby MrsPooh523 » Sat Jul 29, 2006 12:42 am

:shock:
Hello Glenn,
A few questions: I am planning to go through this PRK Custom Surgery and I am quite concerned about not only the surgery itself, but the recovery time. I travel quite a bit with my job and I wonder how long it will take me to be able to see the road clearly. I want to know if PRK should be the better choice verses Lasix. The doctor told me PRK is the way to go considering the shape of my eyes and thickness of my cornea. My sight is -6.75. I have astgimatism as well. I also have a low threshold for pain and I am concerned since this is supposedly the most painful to deal with
Please let me know your thoughts around this.
Thanks so much for your time.
Sincerely
MrsPooh523
MrsPooh523

Postby LasikExpert » Sat Jul 29, 2006 5:13 am

It appears that Lasik and IntraLasik are not possible in your case. These are the two laser assisted refractive surgery techniques that have the least discomfort and fastest recovery.

Surface ablation techniques like PRK, LASEK, and Epi-Lasik are less comfortable than Lasik, but most certainly are tolerable. What is probably a bigger problem for y ou is that recovery is not quick. Although you may have faster recovery, it is reasonable to expect 2-5 days with quite poor vision, another 1-3 weeks with functional but not crisp vision, and another 1-4 weeks before you get good crisp vision. The poor vision will probably be exacerbated at night, meaning that night driving may be limited for a period of time. Surface ablation is seldom a 20-Minute Miracle. It can happen, but don't count on it.

Rather than putting time constraints on your recovery, perhaps you should consider waiting and scheduling surgery for when you can take some time off. You may also want to investigate if IntraLasik with a thin flap is appropriate for your needs.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Return to Thinking About It