Is it true its better to get lasik in the winter time?

If you are thinking about having Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL eye surgery, this is the forum to research your concerns or ask your questions.

Is it true its better to get lasik in the winter time?

Postby houstonman » Thu Jul 05, 2007 1:51 am

I read on another site that it is better to have lasik done in the winter time vs summer time. He said he knew about this but still did it in the summer time then when winter came around his vision worsened and he had to get his eyes touched up. Is this true?

also by touch up is it another lasik procedure where they have to lift the flap again? thanks.
houstonman

Re: Is it true its better to get lasik in the winter time?

Postby JPD » Thu Jul 05, 2007 3:39 am

houstonman wrote:I read on another site that it is better to have lasik done in the winter time vs summer time. He said he knew about this but still did it in the summer time then when winter came around his vision worsened and he had to get his eyes touched up. Is this true?

I really doubt it because the procedure is performed in a controlled environment where the temperature plus relative humidity in the room, and even elevation are all taken into account and compensated for.

houstonman wrote:also by touch up is it another lasik procedure where they have to lift the flap again? thanks.

Yes.
JPD

Postby DryEye » Thu Jul 05, 2007 6:35 pm

I believe doctors often say to get it done during the summer months when it is more humid.
My own personal experience (midwest) tells me that last summer was more difficult for me. You are out more during the summer and exposed to the environment (wind), Car A/C and then Home A/C. In terms of dry eye, this summer is easier than last.
If you are in Houston (your site name) I don't think it matters being that it is basically HOT/humid all year.
DryEye

Re: Is it true its better to get lasik in the winter time?

Postby LasikExpert » Thu Jul 05, 2007 9:09 pm

houstonman wrote:I read on another site that it is better to have lasik done in the winter time vs summer time.

This issue is taking on urban myth proportions. There are elements of truth, but the conclusion is wrong. What has made thins worse is that a news article misquoted a doctor and moved the decimal point in the percentage of problems related to environmental conditions.

A Lasik laser is concentrated light passing through the atmosphere to its target. That atmosphere consists of many different gasses, moisture, dust, etc. The light is blocked or redirected when passing through the atmosphere. The more light that is blocked, the less laser energy arrives at the eye. The less laser energy at the eye, the less tissue is removed for each pulse. The less tissue removed than projected, the less accurate the correction.

If the relative humidity is high (no matter what time of year) there is more moisture in the air. That moisture will block the laser light more than when the relative humidity is low and the air is dry. If the atmospheric pressure is high (any time of year), the air is denser and will block more laser light than if the atmospheric pressure is low. If the room temperature is low, the molecules are less active than if the room temperature is high. This too affects the laser light.

What is important is that all laser systems require recalibration at the beginning of the surgery day and recalibration every few surgeries. If you took a laser during the summer in Death Valley at sea level and installed it in Denver in the winter without recalibration, the amount of tissue that is removed with each pulse would be different, however this does not happen.

Good doctors take into account these variables. Some have a controlled operating room with humidifier/dehumidifier, etc. The doctor adjusts the laser treatment based upon these up-to-the-minute variables.
Last edited by LasikExpert on Sat Jul 07, 2007 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby Remander » Sat Jul 07, 2007 8:17 am

also by touch up is it another lasik procedure where they have to lift the flap again?

Yes, but you get to skip the first part of the procedure, with the suction, which many people find the most uncomfortable. The Doc lifts the flap with an instrument and zzzzzaaaappppp. Been there. Not too bad. Worked out well for me so far.

I posted about my experience:

http://www.usaeyes.org/ask-lasik-expert ... .php?t=820
Remander

Return to Thinking About It