LASEK 7 days ago

Research your concerns in this forum or post your questions if you have had Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL within the past three months.

Postby LasikExpert » Fri Jul 28, 2006 7:04 pm

Carmen,

If recommended, enhancement surgery would probably be LASEK for the same reasons it was LASEK the first time. The process would be the same, but with a much smaller refractive change. There would be less probability of corneal haze with a small change, probably virtually nil.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby carmen123 » Mon Jul 31, 2006 5:23 pm

Hello,

Ok, so I am still trying to be patient. The good news is that I can drive now! My right eye is still pretty blurry, but my doc said he thought I should be ok.

At night, however, it is extremely difficult to see! (And sometimes inside as well). Every light has what I think are called starbursts.

What causes these? My first guess was my because my eyes might still be inflamed? Both eyes, even my left which is pretty clear, produce starbursts around lights at night time. Actually, this is very similar to when I wore contacts at night, but it is worse now.

Any possibility of these going away or is it likely a permanent thing?

Once again, thanks!!
carmen123

Postby LasikExpert » Mon Jul 31, 2006 5:46 pm

There would seem to be a very high probability that the night vision problems will dissapate with continued healing, but all depends upon the exact cause(s).

Because you report limited vision clarity in well lit environments, it would be reasonable to assume that the problem relates to healing issues. If after you have full clarity in daylight you continue to have night vision problems, then the cause may relate to the outer edge of your cornea having a different refractive error than the center. When the pupil gets large in a low light environment, the differently focused light blends and can cause halos around light sources and starbursting.

There are a couple of things you can do that may help the temporary night vision problems. Use a drop or two of a heavier artificial tear such as Systane. This may improve the vision, but it will not last long. Talk to your doctor about using Alphagan P as needed. Alphagan P will cause your pupils to restrict slightly and this will normally reduce the night vision effects.

If after your healing you continue to have night vision problems, discuss with your doctor if enhancement surgery would be appropriate. It would probably be an option, but don't be too concerned about enhancement now. You still need helaing time.
Glenn Hagele
USAEyes

Lasik Info &

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby carmen123 » Tue Aug 01, 2006 1:29 pm

Hello again,

Just another quick question.

This morning when I woke up, my eyes felt like there was something in them. Both eyes feel this way. It is not painful, and I can't actually see anything in my eyes. It almost has a rough feeling.

I know that in the 3-5 days following LASEK, my doc said it might feel like there is something in your eye, like a grain of sand, but this feels a little different.

Do you know if this is normal even 2 weeks after the surgery?

Thank you,
Carmen
carmen123

Postby LasikExpert » Tue Aug 01, 2006 6:04 pm

At two weeks after LASEK you can expect all sorts of small oddities happening, uncluding foreign body sensations. I'm sure you have already used a preservative free artificial tear to flush your eyes. You should also let your doctor's office know of the problem, but don't be surprised if they tell you that this is normal and just be patient.
Glenn Hagele
USAEyes

Lasik Info &

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby carmen123 » Mon Aug 07, 2006 9:53 pm

Ok, so i'm back..

I just had another eye check-up and I'm disappointed.

My left eye is fine, about 20/25. But my right eye has not improved at all over the past 2 weeks. It is still 20/50.

My doc tried the "which is better, 1 or 2?" procedure. But each lense looked almost the same..and he said that the lenses weren't really making any difference.

He also said that there were "whirlies" in both of my eyes, except that in the left eye they were not in my line of vision.

So again I am worried.

He said that I was healing a lot slower than he expected. I have another appt in two weeks.

So I guess I just want to know, should I just continue to be patient? How long until I should definitely be worried?

Thank you.

Carmen
carmen123

Postby LasikExpert » Mon Aug 07, 2006 10:47 pm

The fact that your vision remains about the same with and without lenses indicates that your vision limitation is not refractive error, but is caused by distortion. The "whirlies" may be uneven epithelial healing. A poor epithelial layer could explain your night vision problems and the poor vision quality, however I'm only making an educated guess about what your doctor described as whirlies being epithelial in nature.

LASEK has a relatively slow healing process. Compared to Lasik, it will seem to be an eternity. If your vision is not getting worse, then your doctor is probably correct that you are simply going to need more healing time. Seeing you again in two weeks seems reasonable, but be sure to report any sudden degradation in your vision quality to your doctor straight away.

When you see the doctor next, ask for a detailed explanation on those whirlies. Ask if they are inside the eye, in the cornea, or at the epithelium.
Glenn Hagele
USAEyes

Lasik Info &

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby beradbac » Thu Aug 17, 2006 10:20 pm

Hey everyone! I had lasek last friday(aug 11) and wanted to fill everyone in on my progress thus far. Started with -7.50(R) and -7.25(L), 22 years old male, stable vision for at least 2 years and I had the op done for employment reasons. Operation went very well, painless, quick and comfortable. Got home, slept for 5 hours and really had zero issues with pain. That night I woke up at around 5 with a feeling of gasoline in my eyes. Thankfully turned out just to be dry eyes and not a loss of a contact, but still scary. Other than that recovery has been normal. As of today left eye is 20/30 ish and right is way worse prob 20/50 if that. I am assured by the staff this is normal. Today I also got my contacts out which was a welcome event because I feel the contacts were actually worse then the operation. Anyways everything went well and I will update this next time I go to the doctor and hopefully it can help someone thinking about having this operation done. I am going to try to be as patient as possible and was also told that 4-6 weeks is not an unusual recovery time for Lasek. Like anything you have to weigh the pros and cons of an elective operation such as this and even now to wake up and be able to see 90% is amazing. Feel free to email me if you have any questions, I do not know how often I will be on this board-
Beradbac@hotmail.com
beradbac

Postby carmen123 » Tue Aug 22, 2006 3:36 pm

Hello again!

Just thought I would post another update:

I just had my ~5 week check up yesterday and good news!!

I am now seeing right around 20/20 from my left and 20/25 from my right!! yay! :)

There are still some issues. For example, inside, my vision is not as crisp. I'm guessing this is due to lower lighting?

Outside everything looks great. Nighttime driving is still very difficult, and so I don't feel comfortable driving once it is dusk/dark.

When I put tears in my eyes, my vision gets extremely clear for about a second, but then goes back to "normal" - does this mean anything?

Thanks!!
carmen123

Postby beradbac » Tue Aug 22, 2006 5:09 pm

Hey Carmen-

My eyes do the exact same thing with the artifical tears. I think it just means you have dry eyes still. Great to see your eyes have improved so much . I am in my second week of recovery and my eyes are still changing. Night driving is difficult for me also but putting in tears helps with that also. Goodluck!
beradbac

Postby carmen123 » Tue Aug 22, 2006 8:38 pm

Hi beradbac,

I'm sure you will continue to see large improvements in the next couple of weeks. It took a solid month for me to notice a difference, and my right eye started at 20/80!

Good luck with the rest of your recovery! :)

-Carmen
carmen123

Postby beradbac » Wed Aug 23, 2006 5:46 pm

Carmen-

I hope so! I think my left is about 20/20 and right is 20/30 ish or worse. One thing I noticed is when I cover up my left eye, my right eye which I believe to be worse is blury for half a second and then focuses to perfect vision. Did you experience this at all? Kinda strange but I honestly cannot complain thus far.
Waking up and being able to see things even if they are not absolutly perfect is wonderful. Did you experience significant vision changes? Seems like one day one eye is better then the next its the other. Thanks!

Brad
beradbac

Postby carmen123 » Wed Aug 23, 2006 6:12 pm

Brad,

I did not experience what you were describing - where the one eye would be out of focus and then suddenly focus after covering the other.. that is interesting. Have you mentioned this to your doc?

Yes! I definitely noticed a dramatic change..but for me this didn't occur until about 4 weeks after the surger - well, my left eye was good right away, but my right eye took a while.

Still things aren't crisp. Inside things look shadowy and night time is annoying, but I'm really really hoping this will also improve.

Yea, like everyone has told me already, just be patient and i'm sure things will improve quickly! ;)
carmen123

Postby beradbac » Wed Aug 23, 2006 11:25 pm

Carmen-

Its not really that things are out of focus, its more that one eye is better than the other and covering the better eye up allows the other eye to take the time to focus. I think thats whats going on but I see my doc on sat so I will ask him then. Things inside for me are also somewhat hazy but getting better everyday but my eyes outside are amazing! 5 days ago I couldnt even see myself in the mirror clearly so like you said, it just takes time.

brad-
beradbac

Relieved!

Postby Schade805 » Fri Sep 08, 2006 11:11 pm

Hey Carmen and Brad -
I'm so relieved to have found your postings! I'm having the same experiences as you both; first, big differences in vision between L and R eyes at nearly 2 weeks out after LASEK, and Brad, I also find that my near vision sort of "zooms" into better focus when I cover one eye or the other.
I've been really frustrated and having a hard time at work because I primarily use the computer and read, but at least I can drive. I don't have another appointment scheduled until early October, so I am just glad to have found someplace for reassurance that my healing is "normal".
Did anyone experience what I would call "cramping" pains in/around the eye early after their surgery? I had a few episodes of this, I would have a hard time opening my eyes, they would get red, and tear terribly during the episodes. The rest of the time, my eyes were very mildly irritated, feeling like I'd left in my contacts overnight. Which given the bandage contacts, wasn't surprising.
Schade805

PreviousNext

Return to Just Had It