Confused after nurse told me steps....

If you are thinking about having Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL eye surgery, this is the forum to research your concerns or ask your questions.

Confused after nurse told me steps....

Postby houstonman » Mon Jul 09, 2007 2:03 pm

So she said I would first have the flaps created then I would have to step out and let the bubbles subside for about 10 minutes then go whole other room to have the flaps raised and the intralse lasik beagins.....

I thought that the flap and intralase were done at the same time? Is that not correct?

When the intralase part takes place am I laying back down? Can I walk to the other room after the flap has been created? I feel like im going to be freaking out during that 10 minute period where im waiting for the bubbles to subside. I just feel weird about it. Help me understand this :?

Please someone help me understand this
houstonman

Postby quasi100 » Tue Jul 10, 2007 1:46 am

Nope, your nurse told you correctly. I had my CustomVue Lasik with Intralase done 6 weeks ago.

Before the laser creates the flap, they put this suction thingie on your eyeball. Don't worry, it's painless...just odd feeling. Don't freak out now....when the flap is beng created...your vision goes black. Once the flap has been created and the suction thingie is removed, your vision comes back.

After the flaps are created, you get up and walk to another room. About the only way I can describe it is like this....it looks like you're seeing underwater...or looking through a very dirty/cloudy window.

After the bubbles have gone down (about 10 minutes), then you walk into another room for the Lasik. I had very bad vision (-7.75 in both eyes with a very bad astigmatism)...so I had around 58 seconds of laser in each eye. It's totally painless.

My doctor talked to me the whole time...and told me step by step exactly what he was doing. That helped out tremendously.

When it was over, it still looked like I was seeing through a dirty/cloudy window. After I went home and took a 2 hour nap, I woke up and was totally blown away...I COULD SEE without glasses!!!!!

Went back to the doctor the next day...had 20/25 in left eye and 20/30 in right. And that's exactly where I am right now (6 weeks later). So far, I'm extremely happy and wish I would have done it sooner. I don't know if I'll need an enhancement or not...time will tell. But from going from 'blind as a bat' to 20/25 and 20/30 I'm very happy.
quasi100

Postby houstonman » Tue Jul 10, 2007 9:08 am

quasi100 wrote:Nope, your nurse told you correctly. I had my CustomVue Lasik with Intralase done 6 weeks ago.

Before the laser creates the flap, they put this suction thingie on your eyeball. Don't worry, it's painless...just odd feeling. Don't freak out now....when the flap is beng created...your vision goes black. Once the flap has been created and the suction thingie is removed, your vision comes back.

After the flaps are created, you get up and walk to another room. About the only way I can describe it is like this....it looks like you're seeing underwater...or looking through a very dirty/cloudy window.

After the bubbles have gone down (about 10 minutes), then you walk into another room for the Lasik. I had very bad vision (-7.75 in both eyes with a very bad astigmatism)...so I had around 58 seconds of laser in each eye. It's totally painless.

My doctor talked to me the whole time...and told me step by step exactly what he was doing. That helped out tremendously.

When it was over, it still looked like I was seeing through a dirty/cloudy window. After I went home and took a 2 hour nap, I woke up and was totally blown away...I COULD SEE without glasses!!!!!

Went back to the doctor the next day...had 20/25 in left eye and 20/30 in right. And that's exactly where I am right now (6 weeks later). So far, I'm extremely happy and wish I would have done it sooner. I don't know if I'll need an enhancement or not...time will tell. But from going from 'blind as a bat' to 20/25 and 20/30 I'm very happy.

Thank you so much for clearing it up... I thought my doc was going to do it diff than others. where did U have it done? Im litteraly very very scared! should I be worried about anything? was it pretty fast? thanks! Any advice? :D
houstonman

Postby quasi100 » Tue Jul 10, 2007 4:17 pm

I had my surgery in San Antonio. I don't think we're allowed to say the name of the doctor or business in this forum. I paid $3,000 for CustonVue Lasik with Intralase...which includes all follow-up visits including enhancements (if I need them later).

I would definetly take a sedative the morning of your surgery. Your doctor should give you one if you ask. I'm glad I took one....I was much more relaxed.
quasi100

Postby quasi100 » Tue Jul 10, 2007 4:29 pm

I forgot to mention this....besides dry eye, I've had absolutely no side effects (knock on wood) from the Lasik. No halos, starbursts, night vision issues, ect....just your normal dry eye. And for that, I'm using drops about every 2-3 hours.

I drove to my doctor the very next day after surgery and drove that night....no issues what so ever.

I don't know if I'm lucky or if I'm the exception, but like I said...the only issues I've had have been the dry eye...and for me it hasn't been that bad. If you've ever worn contacts, it feels like your contact is drying out and you need some drops.
quasi100

Postby houstonman » Tue Jul 10, 2007 5:25 pm

quasi100 wrote:I forgot to mention this....besides dry eye, I've had absolutely no side effects (knock on wood) from the Lasik. No halos, starbursts, night vision issues, ect....just your normal dry eye. And for that, I'm using drops about every 2-3 hours.

I drove to my doctor the very next day after surgery and drove that night....no issues what so ever.

I don't know if I'm lucky or if I'm the exception, but like I said...the only issues I've had have been the dry eye...and for me it hasn't been that bad. If you've ever worn contacts, it feels like your contact is drying out and you need some drops.

god your really an inspiration for me having this procedure done. Im so nervous that its unreal .... I have not had sleep for 3 days... im constantly researching, constantly changing my mind about having it done.... just so many thoughts. Im almost driving my self crazy. Im 23 and I guess im most scared of the fact that I could lose my vision or something. I feel up and down about it and its been that way for a week
houstonman

Postby quasi100 » Tue Jul 10, 2007 11:25 pm

Trust me...you're not alone with second guessing your decision. I was flip-flopping back and forth...did so much research my head hurt. Learned a new catch phrase along the way...."paralysis by analysis."

When I look back at what I put myself through...sleepless nights, endless internet searches, ect....I was such a wuss.

I weighed the pros and cons...it was a no-brainer. I went for it.
quasi100

Postby houstonman » Wed Jul 11, 2007 12:08 am

quasi100 wrote:Trust me...you're not alone with second guessing your decision. I was flip-flopping back and forth...did so much research my head hurt. Learned a new catch phrase along the way...."paralysis by analysis."

When I look back at what I put myself through...sleepless nights, endless internet searches, ect....I was such a wuss.

I weighed the pros and cons...it was a no-brainer. I went for it.

2days away from it I was just thinking of every way to back out.... woke up today feeling really scared.... then jumped online and found alot of positive today with you, christin cavallaris documantary and jamming some john mayer to calm the nerves.... ever since 9am to now 6pm I have felt gung hoe about it and feel extoic (sp?). I really can not wait to go in tomorrow... I hope I feel like a champ. If im nervious I hope to god the valume works me down. Tonight im going to play it safe and not go to bars with smoke or drinking to prevent ANYTHING messing up the procedure. One thing I found diff from this doc im about to see which I found from this site vs my other is he has me on drops 4 days before the operaion... its anti inflamatory. This makes me feel like he is taking more precausions vs the last doc he told me to come in on monday and be ready.
houstonman

Return to Thinking About It