dry eyes?

If you are thinking about having Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL eye surgery, this is the forum to research your concerns or ask your questions.

dry eyes?

Postby klw498 » Tue Jul 25, 2006 11:01 pm

I have dry eyes now. I'm unable to wear soft contacts. I made an appointment for an evalution. It is next week. Do you think I may still be able to have the procedure?
klw498

Postby LasikExpert » Wed Jul 26, 2006 1:03 am

It may be possible to have Lasik with dry eyes, however the existing dry eyes must be treated and managed prior to surgery.

All laser assisted refractie surgery can exacerbate existing dry eyes, however Lasik and IntraLasik tend to be worse than PRK, LASEK, and Epi-Lasik. Your doctor may recommend one type of proceedure over another due to dry eye concerns.

You may want to read Lasik Dry Eye Treatment to help understand the dynamics of dry eye issues with refractive surgery.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby klw498 » Tue Aug 01, 2006 2:18 pm

Okay my dye eyes are not going to be a problem. Seems the contact lens soaked up my tears but without them I have more than enough. I'm going Friday for Wavefront custom lasik in only 1 eye. He says the other eye is fine. Doesn't need anything. I will have 20/20 vision. No swimming for 3 days. Should I not go into the sun as well?( I have a boat)
Thanks so much for this site!! I have learned alot
Kerry :D
klw498

Postby LasikExpert » Tue Aug 01, 2006 6:07 pm

For at least two weeks after any refractive surgery you should wear 100% UVA and UVB sunglasses if you even think of going outside. Boating may not be problematic, but you will be in a windy environment with a lot of activity in close quarters. Keep you eyes protected, use preservative-free artificial tears often, and verify with your doctor that boating will not be a problem.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Return to Thinking About It