Left over astigmitism

Post your questions and start your research in this forum if more than three months ago you had any type of surgery to reduce the need for glasses and contacts.

Left over astigmitism

Postby aef » Tue Jul 17, 2007 7:59 pm

I had a cataract procedure in my left eye 18 months ago and the lens implant did not totally correct my vision. I had leftover nearsightedness and astigmitism and had custom lasik 4 months ago. The nearsightness has been totally corrrected and my astigmitism is +.75 to +.85 and the direction of the astigmatism is 100-103.

I have had a history of muscle surgeries in both eyes to correct a muscle imbalance (caused by scleral buckel procedure for detached retina in right eye 15 years ago) so I see poorly as my eyes don't work together well. I have no depth perception. So, even though the astigmitism is mild, the vision is far enough off (20/20 in right eye and 20/40-50 in left eye) that I am having difficulty fusing my images - more so than when I was in contacts seeing 20/20 in both eyes.

My surgeon will do the enhancement but he is not thrilled about it. He says because the natural healing of the eye (the noise in the healing) can result in me actually being worse off than now (I could be left with +1.25 or worse). The lasik procedure will be just a couple of seconds so evidently, it is more challenging for the surgeon than doing a large correction.

Has anyone done an enhancement when the amount of correction was low like mine (+.75)? What was the outcome? Any recommendations? Should I just get glasses? Again, it probably wouldn't be that big of a deal but I see so poorly for other reasons that I would at least like to be more corrected.....

Thanks so much!
aef

Postby LasikExpert » Thu Jul 19, 2007 1:09 am

Your doctor's concerns are well founded. Regardless of the minor astigmatism, you would probably do well to wear glasses that provide prisim to help with your alignment problems.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Return to Had It A While Ago