Crystalens and double vision

Research your concerns in this forum or post your questions if you have had Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL within the past three months.

Crystalens and double vision

Postby abarrasi » Tue Aug 01, 2006 1:17 am

I had cateract surgery on both my eyes. On June 28th I had a crystalens put in my left eye two weeks later one was put in my right eye. Since the surgery all has gone well in the area of healing. However, my distance and near vison, although improved, remains blurry and double. Even though I can read the letters are all double.

Would you know if this is normal and will deminish? My doctor simply nods his has in acknowledgement and always seems to avoid answering the question directly. I just don't know what to expect.

I've been to the crystalens web site and they have no information to speak of. Especially the length of time it takes for blurred vision to improve or doublevision to go away. I know you folks deal mostly with lasik patients but I thought you might have a littlle insight on crystalens patients.

Thanks, Andrew.
abarrasi

Postby LasikExpert » Tue Aug 01, 2006 2:52 am

A couple of questions and then I can reply with what will hopefully be helpful information.

Is your vision doubled with only one eye open, or must you have both eyes open to get the doubled vision?

Is the secondary (ghost) image usually in the same position relative to the main image?

Is vision not better, a little better, or much better in a well lit environment than in a dark environment?

Is there any distance at which object are not blurry? Left eye, right eye, both eyes?

In what city do you reside?
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby abarrasi » Tue Aug 01, 2006 4:20 am

In answer to your first question:

Vision is double with one open at a time.
Secondary image is in the same position all the time for each eye.
Image is blurry at distance, intermediate and close up. However, at arms length I can read better even through the blurriness.

I live in Mansfield.
abarrasi

Postby LasikExpert » Tue Aug 01, 2006 8:32 am

There are several possible causes of your difficulties and it will be difficult for me to pinpoint which is the culprit, but your doctor should be able to narrow down the probable cause.

Double or ghost vision in one eye is called monocular diplopia. It is commonly caused by an irregularity in the cornea, often simple corneal astigmatism. An intraocular lens like the Crystalens does not correct corneal astigmatism. It is possible that you had astigmatism before surgery that remains and is affecting your vision quality now.

Astigmatism can also be induced during cataract surgery. An incision is made at the edge of the cornea and this can cause an irregularity.

Corneal astigmatism, whether induced by surgery or residual from before surgery, is commonly resolved with corrective lenses. Glasses may do fine, but contacts are also a possible method of correction.

It is possible that the Crystalens has shifted inside the eye or otherwise is not in its proper position and this is causing the doubled vision. This is not very probable, but is possible. The doctor is able to examine the Crystalens and determine if this is the source of your problem, but like I said, this is not very probable.

The blurred vision at all distances is a little puzzling, but does point toward astigmatism. If there is no astigmatism, the lens is properly positioned, and of the proper refractive power, vision at near, mid, or distance (one or two, but not all three) should be reasonably good. This is especially true in the eye that is a bit more than a month postop. Even if the lens is not of the proper refractive power, there should be some distance at which objects are reasonably clear and just about any miscalculation of power can be overcome with glasses or contacts.

“Blur” is a relative term and the actual effect is difficult to judge via the Internet. Ghosting will cause a blur because of two images so close together. It may be that the sphere (nearsighted or farsighted) component of your vision is very close to correct, but the astigmatism effect is providing all of the blur. If astigmatism is the cause of the problem, then blur would exist at just about all distances.

Your doctor can provide you a refraction (which is better, one or two) that would determine your refractive error (eyeglass prescription) and if you have astigmatism. Your doctor can also determine if the Crystalens is properly positioned inside the eye. Crystalens does take some time to get the accommodating effect and your doctor may be waiting for that to occur before giving you much more information.

I recommend that you jot down a short list of all the questions you want answered and provide a copy to your doctor’s staff a couple of days before you next appointment. It may be that you doctor does not commonly provide all the tests necessary to answer your questions until later in the recovery period, but I’m sure that if you request you will get the evaluations you need. Also request a little extra time with the doctor to discuss your concerns. Having a friend or relative along can also be helpful.

If you continue to not get your questions answered, a second opinion from another doctor is always a good idea.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby abarrasi » Wed Aug 02, 2006 1:48 am

Glen,

Your reply has been very informative and helpful.

My doctor did make and incision in both eyes to make an adjustment for the astigmatism during my cateract surgery.

And I do plan to take your advice and write down all the the questions I would like to have answered at my next visit. That is a very good idea.

Once again thanks for the advice.

Andrew.
abarrasi

Return to Just Had It