My visit coming up soon

Post your questions and start your research in this forum if more than three months ago you had any type of surgery to reduce the need for glasses and contacts.

My visit coming up soon

Postby aspenice » Fri Jul 20, 2007 1:21 am

I need some input please.

I am scheduled to see my doctor, well, the optometrist on July 26th and have so many concerns which I feel might be brushed away to be honest with you. I went in last time and got to read a couple of lines and she checked my eyes with the ligh micrscope. BTW, what does that microscope check for anyway?

I thing I think I was doing wrong is that I was really straining hard to read 20/20. My husband said don't do that but they scan my eye when I first go in and the machine says my presciption hasn't changed. When I go this time, she is going to release me to a doctor outside the group. I know I have paid for enhancements for up to 5 years and check ups for up to 1 year. Should I asked not to be released yet since I am having issues?

My eyes feel dry and the issue for me is not clearing up. Maybe it isn't dry eye. To be honest, I am very confused at all the info I read and am so nervous. How do I know I don't have striae? Maybe I need an enhancement? How do I know that instead of it being dry eye?

I had custom vue (wavefront) lasik done so do I have to have that again or can I have PRK done instead? I mean, do I have to have the same procedure done if I had wavefront to begin with? Maybe getting another opinion is worth something but I just paid all this money. I am still seeing halos, starbursts and when I am in a grocery store I have to pull the corners of my eyes to see the signs. It is still really out of focus but is it normal at this point? Let's see, I am 10 week post op tomorrow. Am I worried and scaring myself over nothing? If I just knew that things would improve, I would be alot more relaxed.

My eyes get so tired and my vision seems to get worse but the other day it was really good but I laid off the coffee more. I also wanted to ask at this point how strong is the flap to my eye. I am extremely paranoid about it coming off. I am sorry if I sound over the edge but I am scared and really have no one to talk to about this b/c I don't know the appropiate questions I should ask.

I look forward to hearing from you.
aspenice

Re: My visit coming up soon

Postby JPD » Fri Jul 20, 2007 4:47 am

aspenice wrote:I need some input please.

I am scheduled to see my doctor, well, the optometrist on July 26th and have so many concerns which I feel might be brushed away to be honest with you. I went in last time and got to read a couple of lines and she checked my eyes with the ligh micrscope. BTW, what does that microscope check for anyway?

I thing I think I was doing wrong is that I was really straining hard to read 20/20. My husband said don't do that but they scan my eye when I first go in and the machine says my presciption hasn't changed. When I go this time, she is going to release me to a doctor outside the group. I know I have paid for enhancements for up to 5 years and check ups for up to 1 year. Should I asked not to be released yet since I am having issues?

My eyes feel dry and the issue for me is not clearing up. Maybe it isn't dry eye. To be honest, I am very confused at all the info I read and am so nervous. How do I know I don't have striae? Maybe I need an enhancement? How do I know that instead of it being dry eye?

I had custom vue (wavefront) lasik done so do I have to have that again or can I have PRK done instead? I mean, do I have to have the same procedure done if I had wavefront to begin with? Maybe getting another opinion is worth something but I just paid all this money. I am still seeing halos, starbursts and when I am in a grocery store I have to pull the corners of my eyes to see the signs. It is still really out of focus but is it normal at this point? Let's see, I am 10 week post op tomorrow. Am I worried and scaring myself over nothing? If I just knew that things would improve, I would be alot more relaxed.

My eyes get so tired and my vision seems to get worse but the other day it was really good but I laid off the coffee more. I also wanted to ask at this point how strong is the flap to my eye. I am extremely paranoid about it coming off. I am sorry if I sound over the edge but I am scared and really have no one to talk to about this b/c I don't know the appropiate questions I should ask.

I look forward to hearing from you.

You probably won't like my answer, but just about every single concern and question you have should have been addressed by your doctor already. It sounds like your post op care is really poor.

At only ten weeks, it's likely you still have dry eye. The night vision problems sounds like it's caused by residual refractive error. If you have to pull down on the corner of your eye just to see, then it sounds like you're not fully corrected and still have some refractive error. Dry eye can make this even worse, so dry eye could be causing some of the bad night vision as well.

I don't know what all this "releasing you to another doctor" business is all about, but it doesn't sound good to me. Your surgeon performed the work, so he and his staff are ultimately responsible for your care while you're recovering. When you see your doctor you need to ask all these same questions and make sure they give you a solid answer for each and every one of them.

Your flap is not like a contact lens, it's unlikely to move without any eye trauma. At 10 weeks, it's far from being all the way healed, so it's more vulnerable then it will be as time goes on. But it's still tightly in place right now. The more time that goes by, 1-2 years for example, the flap is healed down very tightly and it would take some serious eye trauma to have a flap issue. Corneal flaps have been around since the 1950's. Their is plenty of long term data that shows when they are created correctly they are safe long term, and problems are rare.

I would say dry eye is causing you a lot of problems, possibly some residual refractive error. I wouldn't worry yourself to death until you reach 6 months. You're not even half way their yet.

Write down all of your questions and concerns, and come the 26th's don't leave the office until every single one of those questions is answered to your satisfaction.
JPD

Postby aspenice » Fri Jul 20, 2007 6:17 am

I know in my heart that I rished into this and I am not saying this because my eyes are perfect. My husband got it a month before me and loved it and we knew a few people who went to this doctor (who I think is good) so I went for it cause I knew if I thought about it I wouldn't do it. Goodness, was I ever stupid! I wished I would have went for more opinions.

PRK was never brought up to me since Lasik seemed the way to go. I think I would have gotten PRK from what I read about it. The flap makes me extrememly nervous and I read some medical reports that the flap never heals and germs are exposed all your life and one journal article said a woman's flap became dislodged after 4 years from a poke from her baby. I am just extrmemly upset that this all wasn't told to me but I should have done my homework. Can PRK be used after wavefront lasik?

I am writing all my questions done and getting answers and I probably will state my opinion as well but I don't want this to be a negative visit and dont' know how to bring it up without being defensive. I want to get my point across but don't want to be mean about it. I can't read the internet anymore because I am working myself into a frenzy over this.

Bottom line is that I don't want to be released yet from their care until 1 year later. Um, what would straie feel like? I read all lasik patients have some but it really doesn't bother most. And what is eptihteal growth? I would be nervous swimming considering the flap can be moved and debris could get into my eye. I guess my question would be how do I know if something is really wrong besides pain and poor vision?

I am using drops and those seem to help but not great as I thoughts. I will let you know how things go. Thanks for your opinion.

Aspen
aspenice

Return to Had It A While Ago