Constant Eye strain

Post your questions and start your research in this forum if more than three months ago you had any type of surgery to reduce the need for glasses and contacts.

Constant Eye strain

Postby Mike » Wed Jul 25, 2007 12:51 pm

Hi,

First of all thank you for the wealth of information that you have in this website.

I had Lasik in 2006 July and it is a year now. Before correction I had -2.5 (right) and -2.75 (left). After the surgery I have +0.25 (right) and -0.5(left). I also got some floaters; the doctor has verified that there are no detachments etc.

However, I have constant eye strain. This is constant meaning - througout the day - not just while reading/computer work. It is there even when I wake up in the morning. The doctor initially thought this could be due to dry eye but I do not have dry eyes anymore.

Is there any other reason for this? I read the Eye Strain article that you have in this website and I am not sure if the glasses will help me - eventhough I have not tried the glasses. But my vision is almost perfect - so what would the glasses do?

I am 37. What should be my next step?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks
Mike
Mike

Postby Mike » Wed Aug 22, 2007 1:48 pm

Hi.

Please help me? Any direction is appreciated.

Thanks
Mike
Mike

Postby LasikExpert » Wed Aug 22, 2007 3:32 pm

Your vision is on two different sides of almost perfect. In one eye you are myopic (nearsighted, shortsighted) and in the other eye you are hyperopic (farsighted, longsighted). Even though the amount of refractive error is relatively small, when your eyes relax the images at the retina are out of focus and may be quite different in size.

The natural crystalline lens within each eye changes shape to change focus. This is called accommodation. For you, one lens is pushing, the other is pulling (gross oversimplification). Additionally, you are getting close to the age when the ability of the crystalline lens to change shape is getting limited by presbyopia. That makes it even more difficult.

Your prescription is probably from a manifest refraction (which is better, one or two?). A cycloplegic refraction (which is better with the eyes dilated) will paralyze the crystalline lens and provide your refractive error without accommodation. This is the true refractive error and the error that your eyes are working to resolve.

I recommend that you have a cycloplegic refraction and get some glasses or contact lenses. If this resolves the strain problem, then discuss with your surgeon if enhancement surgery would be wise.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Return to Had It A While Ago