one month checkup after Lasik

Research your concerns in this forum or post your questions if you have had Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL within the past three months.

Postby yvonne1961 » Tue Aug 01, 2006 7:00 pm

Im happy to report all has gone well with my one month checkup. Seeing great. Still some starbursts with night lights but nothing I cant toletarate. Still have dry eyes, also using Systane every 2-3 hours and a gel at night. Naturally, I do have presbyscia issues and Im now getting used to readers. I asked Dr. regarding contact lens for reading, maybe using one only and he recommended I dont use them for the whole day, maybe just a few hours. Said its hard to get used to using them in one eye only (monovision). What are your thoughts and how soon is it recommended after Lasik to use contacts? Thanks Glen, you have been very helpful.
Yvonne
yvonne1961

Postby LasikExpert » Tue Aug 01, 2006 8:52 pm

Congratulations on your successful outcome thus far. I'm glad we have been of service.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby yvonne1961 » Wed Aug 02, 2006 2:00 am

Glen
Thanks again. I would like to ask you, if I decide to go ahead and try the monovision contact in one eye, does it matter in which eye it is placed in? I currently use 1.75 over the counter readers, should I try a lesser prescription or go ahead with 1.75?
Thanks again
Yvonne
yvonne1961

Postby LasikExpert » Wed Aug 02, 2006 3:08 am

It matters very much which eye should have the contact and how that contact should correct vision. In almost all cases, the non-dominant eye should be myopic (nearsighted, shortsighted) and the dominant eye should be fully corrected for distance vision.

We have an easy downloadable Dominant Eye Test that can help you determine which eye is dominant. It is not necessarily the same as your hand dominance. We also have a detailed article about Monovision that you may want to read.

The advantage of contacts is that you can try different strengths to find just the right balance for monovision. Your doctor will make a recommendation, but -1.75 probably is a good place to start.
Glenn Hagele
USAEyes

Lasik Info &

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

contact lens

Postby yvonne1961 » Wed Aug 02, 2006 9:09 pm

so Glen if I understand correctly my dominant eye is my right, so I shoud use the contact lens on the left, right?

yvonne
yvonne1961

Postby LasikExpert » Wed Aug 02, 2006 9:56 pm

The test mentioned above helps determine which is your dominant eye. What is required is a contact or contact lenses that provide plano (no refractive error) in your dominant eye and myopia (nearsighted, shortsighted) vision in your non-dominant eye. This may mean you need only one contact and it may mean you need two contacts. If your right eye is dominant and it is currently plano, then you would not need a contact in that eye.

The exact amount of myopia in you non-dominant eye depends totally on you and needs to be determined through trial and error until the contacts provide the desired balance.

Focus on the concept of monovision and let the doctor worry about the details. The doctor will test for eye dominance and will determine what correction is needed for each eye.
Glenn Hagele
USAEyes

Lasik Info &

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Return to Just Had It